3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

PCM or FCM? Chasing the random stall.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 12:38 PM
RthrDent
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCM or FCM? Chasing the random stall.

Hi guys,
This is an ongoing problem but I think the dern truck tipped its hand this morning. A brief summary:

Vehicle: 2005 QC 2wd SLT, SKIS, all stock, 180,000 miles, V8, 6-speed manual.

Problem is random stalling. Hot, cold, idle, cruising, no apparent pattern. Sometimes a full stall, sometimes a rapid stutter like ignition cutting in and out quickly. No codes except those set as a result of the stall.

Months ago when this started I started with the simple stuff, cleaned the TB, cleaned the IAC, various sensors replaced etc. I'm deep into diagnosis. Been through the ASD relay, checked grounds, did the "replace one coil at a time" thing. Programmed a new key even though I never got a security light. Cheap test ya know. None of these actions had any effect at all. Just trying to skip ahead here and not waste anyone's time.

So this morning I checked the fuel pressure. Nope. With the gauge on the windshield so I could see it I drove around the neighborhood until it stalled. Pressure remained constant at +/- 58 psi during a stall event. Fuel pressure is ruled out.

Now here's the new stuff. Coincidentally this morning, I now have dash warning lights on including Battery, Oil Pressure, ABS, Airbag, brake and CEL. Temp gauge, tach and A/C compressor are non-op. All lights, wipers, radio, locks, windows and HVAC blower are ok. Speedo is ok. Charging voltage is 13.6ish, oil level is good. Cluster self-test is ok. I touched nothing this morning before these conditions arose.

And the kicker, my code reader now says "error" while checking for DTCs. I tested the reader on our Caravan and it's fine. For some reason, the 3 key-cycle method of retrieving codes has never worked on this truck. (?)

With these new symptoms I'm pretty sure I have a module problem, I'm just not sure which one. Since most of my accessories are ok and because of the no-read situation I'm thinking PCM. The loss of temp gauge and A/C comp give me pause though. (FCM)?

So what do y'all think? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a VERY limited budget so throwing parts is a big problem as is dealer diagnosis.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:06 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The battery itself can fail causing similar issues to what you are having. I would pull the battery and have it tested at an auto parts store.

Many auto parts stores will do load testing at no charge, or for a very small fee.

Quick Reply: PCM or FCM? Chasing the random stall.