3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Finding the Mic Plug, UConnect Mirror

Old 11-26-2016, 09:03 AM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Finding the Mic Plug, UConnect Mirror

Hello,

Newbie here. I got my 2011 Dakota a little over a year ago and I've decided to add a few things to it. The first is the auto-dimming mirror with the dual microphones (part 55157457AD). I got the mirror on eBay from a recycler. I also bought the wiring harness (part 82211868, from a dealership's eBay site).

When I lowered the front of the headliner to install the harness, I found an existing harness. It has the correct 16-pin plug with the same wiring configuration as the new harness. So, I plugged in the mirror and turned on the ACC and it WORKS! Awesome! At least, the auto-dimming works.

Then came the problem. After removing the radio to find the mic plug, I can't find the plug. I traced the wiring as best as I could. From the mirror, it comes down the driver's A-pillar. Behind the parking brake pedal, it joins another bundle in a plastic sheath that goes under the carpet.

From there, I can't trace the wire bundle. Best as I can tell, the bundle follows the floor up against the driver's seat and probably comes up on the other side in front of the gas pedal. There are more bundles that go up behind the air vents, but I don't know where they come from or go.

Any one know where to find the 10-pin mic plug? My next step is to add a second-hand 730N RHR. I need the mics to make it work completely.

TIA

Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 PM
bgadow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever have any success with this? One of the upgrades we want to make on our new-to-us '09 is a Bluetooth radio; I'd really like to go with the OEM setup.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:04 PM
philipat
Veteran

Nope. I even tried a question on JustAnswer.com; but, all I got was sales information for separate microphones.

If I can figure out how to pull up some of the forward portions of the dash and see if I can look down into the dash to see if I can see a microphone plug. I think I probably will need to use the jumper cable.

I need to get the 730N and plug it in. I have the jumper cable on standby.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 PM
bgadow

I was thinking about upgrading to a better OEM radio so we could have uconnect; when I added up all the parts I would need plus the hassle/expense of getting it programmed, I decided to go aftermarket. Still at some point I'll probably want to do a fancier mirror but might just go aftermarket with that as well, maybe do a backup camera. It's my wife's truck & she wants more bells & whistles! The one she really wants is steering wheel controls...not something I'm looking forward to installing!

Old 02-13-2017, 08:53 PM
philipat
Veteran

Aftermarket head unit is definitely cheaper and can include Bluetooth, DVD, HDD storage, and navigation. But, I'm still planning to go with the 730N because it includes hands-free, navigation, HDD storage, AND satellite radio. I couldn't find an aftermarket radio that includes the satellite radio.

As far as the mirror goes, I like the OEM option. There's quite a few on eBay. I got mine for $40. Because the OEM mirror is tied to the bus via the pre-installed cabling I found in the headliner, it turns off the auto-dimming whenever the vehicle is in reverse. So, even if the lights are on in the driveway, I can back in or out without looking through sunglasses (so to speak). Then, the auto-dimming turns back on once I put the truck back in either Park or Drive. I don't know if you can do that with aftermarket mirrors.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:01 PM
nanohead
Professional

I had to solder a harness and add pins to the connector if memory serves. The harness comes down the passenger side A pillar, but the amount of wires in the harness are specific to the options the car had in it when it was built. I found the diagram on Alldatadiy and traced it like you did. It was a PITA, and ultimately, I gave up on the Uconnect mirror because I believe there was an impedance/voltage mismatch between the Uconnect Mic and what my aftermarket head unit wanted to see. I could never get the mirror mounted Mic to work correctly, so I mounted an aftermarket mic.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:14 PM
bgadow

I ended up installing an aftermarket stereo but my wife really disliked it, so I did what I should have in the first place and upgraded to a NOS REQ & one of the Mopar uConnect accessory modules. Not the cheapest way to go but I wanted it to work right...if I was certain I could make it work right with a used module and mirror I would have. As it is, I installed the microphone on the windshield, just above the mirror, where you have to look to notice it. It might pick up a little more wind noise there but it would be easy to move later if needed.

At some point I may look at installing an aftermarket mirror with back up camera, something that's more important than auto dimming to the dear Mrs. For now, I'm going to work on adding auto headlamps (looks like an aftermarket unit might work okay) and then...steering wheel controls. Not ready for that!

Old 03-04-2017, 10:54 AM
philipat
Veteran

Good luck with the auto headlamps wiring. For me, the auto-dimming mirror has been definitely worth the money. I have the REQ, but not the BT module, and plan to upgrade that to the RHR. The RHR will accept a back-up camera if I decide to install one. I've thought about it. If I do, I probably also require adding the tailgate spoiler so that the camera can be hidden in the spoiler. The license plate cameras might work. Seems too easy to steal them, though.

Did you find an option to own the wiring diagrams from alldatadiy? I prefer to keep a manual indefinitely rather than have to pay for continued access to it.

Last edited by philipat; 04-18-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:18 AM
philipat
Veteran

I had to wait for the weather to warm up a bit and work to calm down a little. But, I finally got into the dash. After pulling out all of the dash parts, except for the long main piece, I've determined that I can't find the microphone plug anywhere. So, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't exist and I'll need to get the jumper harness that adds a microphone harness to the existing auto-dimming mirror harness.

Search this Thread