3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Please help; Center counsel 06 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:27 PM
ReliableBlue06Dak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info, thanks so much!

Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 PM
stetson
Rookie

You can put almost any console in it so long as you dont have a manual trans ( just has to be from a midsize or smaller with a stand alone console) i like the minivan consoles and jeep consoles myself.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:36 PM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by stetson
You can put almost any console in it so long as you dont have a manual trans ( just has to be from a midsize or smaller with a stand alone console) i like the minivan consoles and jeep consoles myself.
You mean the Town & Country or the Wrangler consoles? They have the same bolt patterns? Do they drop straight in, or do you have to tweak everything?

That would certainly open the range of options.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:19 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by philipat
You mean the Town & Country or the Wrangler consoles? They have the same bolt patterns? Do they drop straight in, or do you have to tweak everything?

It's not as simple as you may believe. I removed mine, read through this thread, specifically post # 16 which shows how it is bolted in/attached . The center seat/flip down console is attached to mounts on the passenger side in which the mounts are riveted to the bucket seat, and on the drivers side the mount is a one piece front seat mount. The mounts where the center seat is attached jut out to the center area, under the center seat. So simply unbolting the four bolts will leave the mounts in the way in the center. You would have to drill into the floorboard to install a different type of center console.
  • The 2000-2004 Dakota middle seat may simply bolt right in, the bottom looks the same, although I'm not 100% sure that the bolts line up exactly.
  • You could always install a full floor console if you don't need the seat, like I did. --> Example here.
  • Be aware of the possible SRS Airbag issue if you remove the front passenger seat, as stated in the linked thread above.

Last edited by dakotaff; 01-19-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:16 PM
philipat
Veteran

Originally Posted by dakotaff
It's not as simple as you may believe. I removed mine, read through this thread, specifically post # 16 which shows how it is bolted in/attached . The center seat/flip down console is attached to mounts on the passenger side in which the mounts are riveted to the bucket seat, and on the drivers side the mount is a one piece front seat mount. The mounts where the center seat is attached jut out to the center area, under the center seat. So simply unbolting the four bolts will leave the mounts in the way in the center. You would have to drill into the floorboard to install a different type of center console.
  • The 2000-2004 Dakota middle seat may simply bolt right in, the bottom looks the same, although I'm not 100% sure that the bolts line up exactly.
  • You could always install a full floor console if you don't need the seat, like I did. --> Example here.
  • Be aware of the possible SRS Airbag issue if you remove the front passenger seat, as stated in the linked thread above.
I would rather have the full console that the center seat with the fold-down back. I've never used the center seat as passenger seating. So, I'd rather have the cup holders and storage space. But, I don't want to have jerry-rig anything to make it work. And, I would need to find a taupe setup, since my truck is white. Seems most of them that I seen online are black and grey.

Thanks for the link to the write-up.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:24 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Old 01-19-2019, 03:29 PM
philipat
Veteran

Thanks. Mine is a 2011. So, the console is different. I wonder if pulling from the junkyard would allow me to get the seat brackets that wouldn't require cutting. hmm

Old 01-19-2019, 05:20 PM
dakotaff
Champion

The mounts are part of the seat bracket, not sure how difficult they would be to swap. Everything is held in place by rivets, drilling them out is possible, but you would need to attach it back together somehow. I'm sure it's been done on similarly seat mounting systems, but it would be a bit tricky.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:35 PM
philipat
Veteran

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:05 AM
stetson
Rookie

Originally Posted by philipat

nothing, not even dakotas of the same year with different consoles, will have the same bolt pattern. But they are the correct size. By jeeps i was refering to CJ, YJ, LJand TJ's. Mini van wise you can look at almost any 90s -2000s van. Most of them have stand alone consoles. Whatever you get you will have to make some brackets for out of sheet metal and drill new holes in the floorboard.