3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota slipping around turns

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Pokezy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Dakota slipping around turns

I am new here plus I am older and do not have the best of computer skills. I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota SLT with 4 wheel drive. It is also a quad. I have noticed last year that if it is in 4 wheel lock, the inside rear wheel will slip going around a 90 degree turn. I had all of the fluids replaced having to do with the transmission, rear end, transfer case, etc. On a dry road it has become worse. I do not drive it in 4 wheel drive, just doing it this time to see what it would do. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I had this problem years ago with a posi traction Van. I had a lubricant put in it and that took care of the problem. Thanks, David

Old 01-23-2017, 02:31 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on your description, it sounds suspiciously like a failed rear differential spider gear assembly. I would remove your rear differential cover and inspect.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:44 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You should not be driving in 4 lock on dry pavement at any time. You can cause serious damage to the drive train when doing so. It is to be used on slippery surfaces only. And going around sharp turns in 4Lock is a terrible idea.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 PM
JYC

What you are describing sounds like normal for being in 4wd lock, particularly if you also have a limited slip.
When you go around a corner, the inside wheel is trying to turn more slowly that the outside wheel, but the drive train in 4WD lock won't let it, so it either drags the tire, or hops, causing a lot of strain.
I'll double the comment above, and say you should NOT be in 4wd lock on dry pavement it's for loose surfaces only. Check your manual if you don't believe me. My old Jeep used to have a warning on the visor not to do this.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Pokezy
Default Dodge Dakota

Originally Posted by dakotaff
You should not be driving in 4 lock on dry pavement at any time. You can cause serious damage to the drive train when doing so. It is to be used on slippery surfaces only. And going around sharp turns in 4Lock is a terrible idea.

As I said I do not drive it in 4 wheel drive on dry roads. The road was wet and had some slush on it. I just put it in 4 wheel drive to see if it was going to slip since I had all of the fluids changed and a lubricant added.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Pokezy
Default Dodge Dakota

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Based on your description, it sounds suspiciously like a failed rear differential spider gear assembly. I would remove your rear differential cover and inspect.

That was what I was afraid of. Thanks

Old 01-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Pokezy
Default Dodge Dakota

Originally Posted by JYC
What you are describing sounds like normal for being in 4wd lock, particularly if you also have a limited slip.
When you go around a corner, the inside wheel is trying to turn more slowly that the outside wheel, but the drive train in 4WD lock won't let it, so it either drags the tire, or hops, causing a lot of strain.
I'll double the comment above, and say you should NOT be in 4wd lock on dry pavement it's for loose surfaces only. Check your manual if you don't believe me. My old Jeep used to have a warning on the visor not to do this.

I believe you and this is not my first 4 wheel drive vehicle. My first was a Blazer and never made this kind of noise. I can only drive it in 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive lock and 4 wheel drive low. I had to see what it was going to do. Thanks