3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Cooler Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Sam Lancashire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Lines

Hi all. First post here. I have a 2008 Dakota.
I've been noticing drips on the laneway for a couple months now. I recognized it as tranny fluid and kept an eye on levels as it wasn't a fast leak.
The other day I crawled underneath the truck to investigate and found my tranny cooler lines were rotten. I ordered new aftermarket (Dorman) lines and got them today.
I got the old lines out without much trouble but fitting the new ones in has gotten the best of me. I got one of the two in but I can't for the life of me manage to route the other one all the way through the gap between the differential and the oil pan. I'm being pretty careful not to force them (they were $120 a piece, I don't want one to kink!).

Has anyone replaced these before? What's the secret?

Sam

PS. Before anyone suggests it, I did check that the lines match the old ones

Old 10-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Sam Lancashire

Update:

Got them replaced. What an awful horrible terrible job. If there was a simple easy way I couldn't figure it out. Took me one full day plus two evenings (after work) to get these replaced. Might be easier with a hoist (I was on my driveway with the front end jacked up) but there is just so many things in the way of these lines when trying to fish them through. If your lines are leaking I strongly recommend just cutting out the bad part and replacing with hose (as seen on youtube). I definitely wish that I had gone that route.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,967 Posts

Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it. Unfortunately, I think the easiest way to change them, is to pull the engine and trans, and do it with them out......

Old 11-24-2017, 10:20 AM
Glenn Dodson

How did you get it in I'm working on the same problem now.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Zombifyd
Professional

Oh great, another horrible thing i have to look forward to. My crimped areas on the hoses have been leaking and need to get them done. Not what i wanted to hear. Lol

Old 01-06-2018, 02:35 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On of the two lines on the Dakota here is leaking at the crimp up front near the radiator. I have absolutely NO intentions of replacing the whole line for the sake of 10" of rubber hose.
The tube is going to get cut right behind the crimps, a mini flaring tool will be used to make a bit of a barb, and a new hose is going on with typical screwed hose clamps in (stainless). 15$

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5837.JPG (1.13 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 01-06-2018 at 03:07 AM.