3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Headlights are turning my tail light off

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 PM
2K2RAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights are turning my tail light off

Ever since I bought my truck, I noticed that when I turn my head lights on, it causes my turn signal to start hyperflashing. I checked my lights and found that my rear passenger tail light goes out. No turn signal, brake light, or running light. When I turn my head lights off, the light starts working again. I'm not sure whats going on here. Is there a common issue with these trucks. I recall hearing that the driver side and passenger side lights are on different circuits. Is it a short in wire or some component issue. I could not find anything in the search or online searches.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Check the bulb first.......

Old 10-11-2017, 07:13 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K2RAM
Ever since I bought my truck, I noticed that when I turn my head lights on, it causes my turn signal to start hyperflashing. I checked my lights and found that my rear passenger tail light goes out. No turn signal, brake light, or running light. When I turn my head lights off, the light starts working again. I'm not sure whats going on here. Is there a common issue with these trucks. I recall hearing that the driver side and passenger side lights are on different circuits. Is it a short in wire or some component issue. I could not find anything in the search or online searches.
This is always my first answer with these issues:

Multi-Function Switch . . . .

These go often, and screw up everything to do with lights, flashers and wipers.

Easily swapped out for a one from the recyclers.
Cheers

Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 AM
DakotaJedi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you able to fix this? I've got the same issue on my driver's side. A new bulb fixed the problem about a year ago, but now it's back. I'm thinking maybe a bad contact. This time it started when I was driving in light rain and I'm wondering if water is getting in somewhere causing an issue. I'll try to remember to post back if I get it figured out.