3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Spark plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by 15DodgeJourney
Interesting, as I was always under the impression that iridium is always the best since it has a longer life "knowing that you are choosing compatible iridium plugs with the correct gaping".
It seems this is a YMMV subject.

I used to be the guy that takes out everything OEM "if possible" and replace it with an aftermarket: Shocks, spark plugs, brakes, wheels, etc... With years I learned that I don't always get the best results with the aftermarket, even if they advertise better components. I did learn to stick with OEM yet I don't really listen
Engines designed to run on copper plugs generally perform best with copper plugs.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:55 PM
15DodgeJourney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Engines designed to run on copper plugs generally perform best with copper plugs.
Indeed, but look how "for example" Rock Auto represents the spark plugs replacement for a 2nd generation Dakota. It seems as if the Iridium ones are the best replacement. Which I admit, was deceived by such representation and used to go far from OEM and how the engine is designed. I still have this bad habit in me every now and then

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...park+plug,7212

Old 10-31-2017, 01:09 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I've learned by trial and error....lol