3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 Dakota ECM, TCM or PCM

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Dual
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dakota ECM, TCM or PCM

Which one (or 2) does a 2005 dodge dakota have. I believe I have found my problem to loss of power but not sure if I have PCM (ECM+TCM) or separate controllers ECM, TCM. Either way I have to purchase one if combined or both if not. Help is appreciated due to cost. Transmission went into limp mode this morning and its a newly replaced re-manufactured. Voltage shows good but could be misreading.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 PM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe you take it out and pull the part number off of it to be absolutely sure or call local dealer with the vin.It should be mounted at the rear of the power distribution center with the fuses and relays.

You could save money by sending it out for repair.It may be your best option anyway as the modules have long been discontinued by Mopar I beleive.

Last edited by daktwos; 04-25-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:59 PM
Dual

Originally Posted by daktwos
I believe you take it out and pull the part number off of it to be absolutely sure or call local dealer with the vin.It should be mounted at the rear of the power distribution center with the fuses and relays.

You could save money by sending it out for repair.It may be your best option anyway as the modules have long been discontinued by Mopar I beleive.

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:21 AM
mikeykc

Originally Posted by daktwos
It should be mounted at the rear of the power distribution center with the fuses and relays.
That would be the TIPM (total integrated power module).

PCM and TCM are integrated into one unit. It is to the upper rear passenger side engine bay. It is the silver box with the 4 sets of plugs and a bunch of wires coming out.

You can find them rebuilt online for about $200 programmed to your vin. TIPM's go bad as well and are not VIN specific and can be swapped to like models.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:28 AM
mikeykc

I am having the same issue posted in the U0100 U0101 U1414 U1415 thread.

Limp mode and scanner cannot connect to PCM. Can a scanner still connect and pull codes from your truck?

Old 04-27-2018, 01:31 PM
daktwos
Professional

Yes,my error.No TIPM though,Dodge calls it a FCM front control module.A bad one is usually cheaper to have it sent out for repair and testing.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:06 PM
Dual

Thank you for all information. I have dumped alot into this truck and it's been in the shop so many times I am tired of the run around. I will see cost for having it rebuilt.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:52 PM
Dual

Originally Posted by mikeykc
I am having the same issue posted in the U0100 U0101 U1414 U1415 thread.

Limp mode and scanner cannot connect to PCM. Can a scanner still connect and pull codes from your truck?
My truck trows no codes at all. I recently changed out the battery and it ran great for a day. Then back to normal. I figured it was the battery due to the way it would shake a bit to (that started recently) . I am going into town tomorrow to get a new alternator also. If the battery was bad and the new battery is now acting like the old one that the alternator is on its way out. I am hoping this will fix my problem. If not, then its replace the TIPM, like you suggested in an earlier post.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:59 PM
daktwos
Professional

You need to test the alternator output as well as load test the battery or take it to a shop and have it tested before throwing good money after bad imho.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:10 AM
Dual

Originally Posted by mikeykc
That would be the TIPM (total integrated power module).

PCM and TCM are integrated into one unit. It is to the upper rear passenger side engine bay. It is the silver box with the 4 sets of plugs and a bunch of wires coming out.

You can find them rebuilt online for about $200 programmed to your vin. TIPM's go bad as well and are not VIN specific and can be swapped to like models.

I am having trouble understanding what you are saying. Does the TIPM need to be programmed to your VIN or not?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dakota ECM, TCM or PCM