3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2007 Front Axle Drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:11 PM
Micheal Pearce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Front Axle Drop

I bought this 2007 Dodge Dakota a little bit back. It has a 3" lift kit on it and apparently the guy who put it on didn't do something right; now my CV joints are at a angle and being tore up whenever I go offroading. My mechanic told me I needed to find a way to lower my front axles, but I can't seem to find any topics or anything that could help me out. Anyone here know something that could help out?

Old 05-30-2018, 02:14 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Micheal Pearce
I bought this 2007 Dodge Dakota a little bit back. It has a 3" lift kit on it and apparently the guy who put it on didn't do something right; now my CV joints are at a angle and being tore up whenever I go offroading. My mechanic told me I needed to find a way to lower my front axles, but I can't seem to find any topics or anything that could help me out. Anyone here know something that could help out?
Micheal:

Nobody here will be surprised that your CV joints are gone, we are all wondering why you aren't complaining about your tie-rod ends, ball joints and everything else that moves up there.

These parts wear out sooner on these trucks than on every other truck (according to some), any lift makes it wear out faster, anything over 2 inches is crazy talk. 3" never going to work!

Old 05-30-2018, 06:03 PM
Micheal Pearce

Originally Posted by northgator8
Micheal:

Nobody here will be surprised that your CV joints are gone, we are all wondering why you aren't complaining about your tie-rod ends, ball joints and everything else that moves up there.

These parts wear out sooner on these trucks than on every other truck (according to some), any lift makes it wear out faster, anything over 2 inches is crazy talk. 3" never going to work!
Forgive me if I sound silly, but I've seen trucks lifted up higher than my goals in life. All I gotta do is lower that front axle, there's gotta be a way to do that.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:16 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Micheal Pearce
Forgive me if I sound silly, but I've seen trucks lifted up higher than my goals in life. All I gotta do is lower that front axle, there's gotta be a way to do that.
There is a way, but you are basically on your own to do it. The third generation of Dakota never had any aftermarket support to speak of, and 7 years after the last one rolled off the line, there isn't much out there still available. There is some chatter about it here on the forum, use the search function for Front Axle Drop, which yields 61 threads.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 AM
ODXBeef
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jackmyride (now defunct) made a diff drop bracket for the 3rd gen dakota's, but good luck getting your hands on one.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:51 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 336 Likes on 300 Posts

Bottom line, these trucks were not designed to be lifted. Sure there are people who put 3" spacers combined with a 3" body lift, but as you are finding out, that makes quick work of the front suspension components. This is a known fact. You can go totally custom with a diff drop as mentioned, but just how much money are you willing to throw at it? Jack my ride was in the $6000 range for a front diff drop only. That's why he is no longer around.....

Old 05-31-2018, 01:12 PM
Micheal Pearce

Well hell, that sucks to find out, thank you all for your answers!

Old 06-02-2018, 05:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Solid axle swap.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Michael Adam
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2 inch differential drop for my Dakota and works great with my 2 inch lift. Found it on Ebay. Search for " DIFFERENTIAL DROP KIT FOR 2001 - 2011 DODGE DAKOTA". Two remaining. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
dpmsdeerhunter (10-19-2019)
Old 11-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Shawn303

Has anyone seen or heard of these? 2001-2011 Dodge Dakota Steel Differential Drop Brackets Kit 4WD by Supreme Suspensions. $240 seems really reasonable. Here is the link. Diff Drop.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Axle Drop