3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 dakota electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Quade
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 dakota electrical problems

Im having quite a few problems all electrical and was wondering if they could be all linked together or if they are just separate issues. The coolant temperature gauge does not work but the coolant temperature overheated light is always on as well no matter if it has been running for a few hours or a minute. Also the electronic transfer case control doesn't change into 4hi.low. or even neutral. Also the key fob doesn't work. I did read something that if a gauge doesnt work it could be an airbag controller problem and this truck is supposed to have the airbag recalled fix but there are no recall fix stickers.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

What's the condition of the battery, connections and charging system?

Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

There are parts for both airbag recalls, you can check with your VIN to see if any recalls have not been completed on your truck (Not sure what you mean by a recall fix sticker). And I don't see how a gauge not working could be caused by any airbag component.

Did all of these issues come at the same time?

Old 06-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Quade

We just purchased the truck a few days ago and all this was already happening. I did just have the battery changed and the alternator was replaced within the last 6 months but I have not checked to see if its working 100% as it should.

And on other vehicles that i have worked on in the past that i have had and that have had recall work done to them they put a sticker in the door jam stating that the recall repair was already performed. But on my vin history i purchased it said that there were recalls it just didn't say if it had already been performed on my truck.

And as for the airbag i read it from the manual actually i'll paste it below and the page number it is from an online owners manual because one did not come with my truck.
From page 55
NOTE: If the speedometer, tachometer or any engine related gauges are not working, the airbag control module may also be disabled. The airbags may not be ready to inflate for your protection. Promptly check fuse block for blown fuses. Refer to the label located on the inside of the fuse block cover for the proper airbag fuses. See your dealer if the fuse is good.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:15 PM
Quade

Ok an update on what I've learned today. For the coolant gauge/light the coolant temp sensor is working and thermostat I took it to a parts store today and used a obd reader to verify this along with my charging system is properly functioning. But I was taking apart the dash to look to see if the transfer case module was unplugged for the possibility of that's why the transfer case not shifting and found a lot of screws missing and that most likely someone had been in the dash at least once before so tomorrow I will take apart the dash and take the cluster out to see if maybe there's a bad wire before I replace the stepper motor. But for the transfer case module im not sure where it is I've seen the picture on the forum where it shows the blue box just to the right of the steering wheel column and I couldn't find anything close to resembling said ecm the only boards there were 2 different ones for the a/c system when I looked up their part numbers.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:59 PM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The front control module (FCM) located behind the TIPM,power distribution center or fuse box is located under the hood on the left fender. It controls the 4x4 transfer case motor along with the position switch on the dash.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

before you mess with anything make sure someone did not pull the transfer case switch, a lot of these trucks when the switch faults it tries to put truck into 4x4 when doing 65/70 causing KABOOM!!!!!, if that's the case switch needs to be replaced

Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Quade

Today I took the gauge cluster out and found that someone stuffed a bunch of cotton over the svc 4wd and the ESP/BAS lights and wasn't able to get the water temp sensor working either (im guessing its a wire somewhere) . So I had already pulled the switch in the center dash out and it was plugged in properly so im guessing that leaves the computer under the fuse box for me to tackle. If this needs replacing can I just swap one from a junkyard or do I need to get it flashed to work with my truck?

Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 AM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems that you have separate electrical issues going on but if the 4wd doesn't work and the svc 4wd light is on it often means the transfer case shift motor and it's internal position sensor is bad and need to be replaced,preferably with new.Also good practice to replace the 4wd switch on the dash at the same time as they are not expensive but if it tests out ok you can leave it in.

A FCM from a salvage yard from a like equipped truck is a plug and play deal,no flashing is required.They can also be sent out for testing and repair.Most likely your fcm is still ok.

Last edited by daktwos; 06-12-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:18 PM
Quade

I found the problem it was the transfercase motor... connector. Does anyone know the part number or where to order another connector from? I looked and I haven't been able to find any. I think ill also need a driveshaft dust boot for the rear as well.

Quick Reply: 05 dakota electrical problems