3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

P0172 and P0132 + Engine Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0172 and P0132 + Engine Hesitation

Hi All,

I'm getting codes P0172 (Fuel System, S1 B1, System Rich) and P0132 (O2 Sensor, S1 B1, Voltage High) from my 2005 Dodge Dakota (3.7L 4WD).

Runs fine for a couple miles, but when I park it, and drive again shortly after it hesitates ALOT when both idle and driving. When it's hesitating, which is pretty constant beyond a quick drive, it's hard to get it up to speed.

Was reading online and in this forum and found a good bit of people with the codes separately, but not many together (without other codes). My muffler has at least a moderate leak, and I'll be replacing that shortly and also going to try replacing the upstream O2 sensor. My biggest question is what else (if anything) could this be besides the O2 sensor and/or muffler leak? The reason I ask is the auto guy I had pull the codes said that beyond that, it could be the fuel filter or possibly something else. No inline filter that I can see so that would be some more work (yay lol).

I might just take this to my local auto shop as my inspection is due anyway (i'm also probably gonna just have them do the muffler). It's roughly a 25-30 minutes drive. Is it OK to drive it like this for that period without damaging something else? If I do end up taking it somewhere instead of fixing it myself, I'll report back either way on the eventual solution!

Thanks in advance. I'm relatively new here and this forum has been pretty awesome thus far!

Old 06-15-2018, 01:44 AM
19dhyer
Amateur

Good luck with the "filter". Its basically a sock that goes around the fuel pump, inside the gas tank 😦

Old 06-15-2018, 10:59 AM
Smokeykurt
Rookie

Originally Posted by 19dhyer
Good luck with the "filter". Its basically a sock that goes around the fuel pump, inside the gas tank 😦
Yeah...that's what I hear. Drop the tank and all that fun stuff lol. Here's hoping that it's not the fuel filter (crosses fingers).

Old 06-15-2018, 12:00 PM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can just pull the bed box off instead,easier imho.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:44 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I would replace the left upstream O2 sensor and see if that solves the issue for both codes. It's possible that you could wreck the catalytic converter when running too rich.

Last edited by dakotaff; 06-15-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:57 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Agree ^^

Start with the simplest thing first.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:29 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie

I appreciate the feedback guys. I'll replace the upstream O2 sensor and report back. I'll avoid driving it for now for the catalytic converters sake.

Regarding the fuel filter, I didn't even think of pulling the bed box. Not a bad idea. Hopefully changing the O2 sensor fixes it and the filters still in good shape and I don't get to test that out yet lol.

Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:12 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie

Sorry to bring up an aging thread, but figured i'd post the conclusion on this one. I ended up replacing the O2 sensor, muffler, and both resonator pipes. Took me longer than I would have liked to do it (I have a 4 banger turd as our third vehicle so didn't need it immediately), but this resolved the issue. Replacing the O2 sensor probably would have resolved the immense hesitation and rough idle, but my muffler was shot anyway, and the resonator pipes were full of holes so figured since I was underneath it...lol. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: P0172 and P0132 + Engine Hesitation