3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Noise rear end

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 10:18 PM
stetson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seventime

k thanks for the advice. I’m gonna change out the links/bushing’s since I’m under there any way and see what happens.
So, bearing noise will cause a clicking/pop noise? Is that the bearing where the drive shaft yolk goes into the rear pumpkin?
they can when damaged its not exactly common, it usually progresses to a ball bearings in a blender sound followed by loud obnoxious squalling. When you think about it a ujoint is just 4 bearings on a post afterall. bearings are famous for only making noise when under a load aswell. Yes the pinnion bearing is the one i would suspect but you would have noticed slop in the bearing when you checked the ujoints. Are you sure that its coming from the rear end?

Edit i should add its not the bearings that make clicking popping sounds they just allow things to move around enough to make the sounds. ( their the cause)

Last edited by stetson; 12-15-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:26 PM
Seventime
Rookie

The noise definitely seems to be coming from the rear end of the truck. As I mentioned earlier there is a ton of slack/play in the stabilizer bar, bushings and links. Which definitely does not seem normal?

Old 12-17-2018, 08:47 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by seventime

the noise definitely seems to be coming from the rear end of the truck. As i mentioned earlier there is a ton of slack/play in the stabilizer bar, bushings and links. Which definitely does not seem normal?

not normal!

Old 12-18-2018, 07:18 AM
stetson
Rookie

Originally Posted by northgator8
not normal!
x2 definitely get that fixed first. Or take them off and run around the block and see if the sound goes away

Old 12-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Seventime
Rookie

Originally Posted by stetson
x2 definitely get that fixed first. Or take them off and run around the block and see if the sound goes away
ordered all new links/bushings. They should be in today, then try and install them between kids hockey/Christmas stuff.
Will keep posted.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:44 PM
northgator8
All Star

ordered all new links/bushings. They should be in today, then try and install them between kids hockey/Christmas stuff.
Will keep posted.
I hear you about how busy things are at this time of year, but you want it fixed to haul gear to the hockey tournaments!

If the links take you longer than half an hour, you are doing it wrong . . . . LOL. I haven't done the bushings, because mine are okay, but I don't think they will take much longer.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Seventime
Rookie

Originally Posted by northgator8
I hear you about how busy things are at this time of year, but you want it fixed to haul gear to the hockey tournaments!

If the links take you longer than half an hour, you are doing it wrong . . . . LOL. I haven't done the bushings, because mine are okay, but I don't think they will take much longer.
yeah im sure it will be a straight shot. You happen to know the torque specs on the links if there is any

Old 12-18-2018, 05:08 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

yeah im sure it will be a straight shot. You happen to know the torque specs on the links if there is any
Check page 39 of the FSM, linked below.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:14 AM
northgator8
All Star

two and a half ugga duggas on the impact driver or a little angry on the 1/2" ratchet

Old 12-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Seventime
Rookie

Checked the FSM. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Noise rear end