3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Noise rear end

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Seventime
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise rear end

Hello all

2006 4.7L 4x4 160,000km on it. This morning as I was accelerating I could hear a clicking or popping noise coming from the rear end of the truck. It continues as long as I’m on the gas. It quite’s down as I reach about 50mph and almost become’s unnoticeable. From a dead start if I gently accelerate its a minimal sound, if I accelerate harder it’s much more pronounced. And as I let my foot off the gas and coast as the truck is rolling, it completely goes away. I will be putting the truck on stands tonight to get under and take a look.

My initial thought and hope is drive shaft U-joint, my fear is something letting go in the diff.

No noise while shifting from park to any gears.

Any and all ideas and thoughts appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-12-2018, 12:50 PM
ODXBeef
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone who just went through this with the exact same symptoms, aside from I had a clunk going from park to drive, it really sounds like u-joints.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:52 PM
Seventime
Rookie

Thats for sure what I’m hoping for. Was there a lot of slack in the u-joints you changed?

Old 12-12-2018, 06:32 PM
stetson
Rookie

Ujoints are stupid easy to check. Push up down left and right firmly on the drive shaft near each yoke. ANY movement indicates the ujoint is bad. (Note its movement relative to the other side of the yoke and you're not rotating it your pushing against it)

Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 PM
Seventime
Rookie

So, made it under the truck this evening can’t feel any play in either the front or back u-joints on the drive shaft.
However, I have both axle stands under the rear axle tube and the stabilizer bar that runs over the pumpkin is very loose. My thinking is even though the the tires are off the ground the weight of the truck is still on the rear end, so why so much play in the stabilizer bar and links?
is this normal?
if so my next step is gonna be pull the diff cover odd and check for any chipped teeth in any of the gears.
thoughts???

Old 12-14-2018, 07:14 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Seventime
why so much play in the stabilizer bar and links?
Because your sway-bar end-links and/or your sway-bar bushings are shot. That is your noise, until proven otherwise. Grab the end-link and give it a right-good shake. If it moves, it's shot. Replace them - dead easy. I didn't even pull a wheel for mine.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:15 AM
stetson
Rookie

Yeah the end link on the rear sway bar will make a clacking noise when they get loose. But its not normally related to when you accelerate. Also Its more likely bearing noise than the gear teeth

Last edited by stetson; 12-14-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Seventime
Rookie

Originally Posted by stetson
Yeah the end link on the rear sway bar will make a clacking noise when they get loose. But its not normally related to when you accelerate. Also Its more likely bearing noise than the gear teeth
k thanks for the advice. I’m gonna change out the links/bushing’s since I’m under there any way and see what happens.
So, bearing noise will cause a clicking/pop noise? Is that the bearing where the drive shaft yolk goes into the rear pumpkin?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Seventime

k thanks for the advice. I’m gonna change out the links/bushing’s since I’m under there any way and see what happens.
So, bearing noise will cause a clicking/pop noise? Is that the bearing where the drive shaft yolk goes into the rear pumpkin?
If it were me, I'd do nothing but replace the end links, then see if you still get the noise. You need end links, so it isn't "throwing parts at the problem". I'd be loath to open up a mechanical part without doing the cheap, easy stuff first.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Seventime
Rookie

Originally Posted by northgator8
If it were me, I'd do nothing but replace the end links, then see if you still get the noise. You need end links, so it isn't "throwing parts at the problem". I'd be loath to open up a mechanical part without doing the cheap, easy stuff first.
yeah that’s the plan, I’m gonna try end links and bushings and see where that gets me.

Quick Reply: Noise rear end