3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hard/No start only when engine is at operating temp, it must cool down again to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Kevin Moore
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard/No start only when engine is at operating temp, it must cool down again to start

2005 Dakota v6 Runs great until it is at full operating temperature. When I shut it off, then I try to start it again within 5-15min it will not start until it cools down a bit. Fuel pressure operates at just under 60psi when I shut it off it holds at just over 50psi. Someone recommended I change the Coolant Temp Sensor. Why would it be that, or what should I do now??

Old 02-07-2019, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

See what's missing when it won't start. You have fuel pressure, but, do you get injector pulse? Spark?

Old 02-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Kevin Moore
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have injector pulse, I have spark.
Just changed ETS, still no start only when hot and stopped for a few minutes.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:20 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The injector/spark timing may be being thrown off by a worn-out sensor affected by post-shutoff engine heat soak, causing the sensor to send faulty signals until it cools down. On the 2005 V6, the sensors which regulate injector/spark timing are the Camshaft Position Sensor (right-front side of the right cylinder head), the Crankshaft Position Sensor (right-rear side of the engine block), and the 2 Knock Sensors (top of the engine block under the intake manifold). (*The service manual states that the input from the 2 Knock Sensors is ignored during engine idle conditions until engine RPM (as sensed by the Crankshaft Position Sensor) exceeds a specified value. I would therefore probably rule out the Knock Sensors as your issue, since the only way they could be affecting timing during startup/idle is if the Crankshaft Position Sensor itself is the faulty component and sending false higher-RPM readings.)

If you replace any engine sensors, DO NOT USE ANY AFTERMARKET SENSORS on these trucks...these engines have been found to be incredibly sensitive to the use of aftermarket sensors which may soon cause more "gremlins" than you started with. USE ONLY OEM SENSORS.

Last edited by erau; 02-10-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Hard/No start only when engine is at operating temp, it must cool down again to start