3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Possibilities?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 11:08 PM
Scottd2112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibilities?

Okay guys, I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota ST, 3.7 V6 Magnum with exactly 183,432 miles on it. Recently, it failed an initial SMOG test because some blue-ish white smoke came of the tail pipe for a second while doing the test. I have noticed smoke ONLY when it has been idling for five or more minutes. I have also noticed that my oil levels go down between 1000-1500 miles, to which I put oil in. I currently use high mileage oil from Valvoline 5W-30. I have heard all kinds of things from bad valves to pcv valve, to pistons from other websites and a couple of mechanics that I question the legitimacy of. The smoke is not much and only comes from idlying, you don't even see it from starting up the truck after overnight. Headgasket is fine or else I would definitely see the coolant when I do oil change and the volcano plume of white smoke. There is also no oil leak on my driveway, though some minor seepage that tends to crawl from time to time on the undercarriage. There is not a lot of smoke at all either when it does come out. It looks thin and for a brief second, yes a second, looks like my tailpipe took a hit off of a weak vape. Any ideas?

SIDE NOTE** I thought I originally posted here, and not the main dakota section, so apologies to admins for the headache

Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Think I would try the PCV valve first, it's cheap and easy, and makes a bit of sense that you only see it at idle. (when manifold vacuum is highest)

Quick Reply: Possibilities?