3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Which Engine do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 AM
salshoes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Engine do I have?

Hi all - brand new Dakota owner here. Just purchased an '06 quad cab, V8, 4wd Laramie with 104k miles on it. Had been looking for a long time, glad to finally get one.

How can I tell which of the engines I have? There seems to be a "J 4.7L FI SOHC HO" and an "N 4.7L FI." I'm not the most well-versed home mechanic type, so I'm not sure what the difference is (although I know SOHC = Single Overhead Cam, right?), nor what sorts of parts purchases will be affected, but it seems like something I should know for future reference.

And a related question would be (since I was looking for brake pads) how can I tell if I have 2 wheel ABS or 4 wheel ABS?

Thanks so much, and I'm looking forward to being a part of this community!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Engine code is the 8th number in the VIN. "N" is the normal 4.7L Magnum. "J" is the high output version. IIRC all Dakotas have 2 wheel ABS. You can request a build sheet that will tell you all the various options and available equipment your truck came with from the factory.

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...ull&category=U

Fill out all the required information, then in the area that says "What can we help you with" put "Vehicle Build Sheet" .

If you want to elaborate a little more as to why you want your build sheet, use the description area.

They normally respond within a few days

Welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Which Engine do I have?