3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 Dakota rear end options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:51 PM
Kwalsh24
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 Dakota rear end options?

Well, my 05 Dakota just seems to be a never ending project, after noticing the random harsh jumping the truck does when shifting from park, reverse or park & drive, seeing the extra play my drive shaft has when the harsh jumping happens, it appears now my rear end could be on its last legs, pulled the diff cover, found missing teeth on the ring gear, couldn't fully see the pinion to see what damage it has...

So curious what my options are. I would like to just get a good used rear end and I'm curious if I'm stuck with getting a rear end from another 05+ 4x4 or if there's alternatives? Been googling and searching but not finding much on these gens, more the gen2 getting the 9.25 upgrade...

Last edited by Kwalsh24; 07-09-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 AM
RicOshea
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

the dakota 05-07 either came with the 3.55 or the 3.92, the later being a tow package.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Kwalsh24
Amateur

I should mention that the truck has a LSD currently, after doing some reading sounds like the LSD have clutch clip failures that can cause quite a bit of damage. So here's the true question, do I get another LSD rear end? Or do I go with a open rear end? Anyone have a 4x4 with a open rear end care to comment? Is the LSD worth taking a chance on?

Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwalsh24
I should mention that the truck has a LSD currently, after doing some reading sounds like the LSD have clutch clip failures that can cause quite a bit of damage. So here's the true question, do I get another LSD rear end? Or do I go with a open rear end? Anyone have a 4x4 with a open rear end care to comment? Is the LSD worth taking a chance on?
Depends whether you need the added traction from a LSD. If you intend to always live in a non-freezing environment, never leave the pavement, and not power hard around corners, it doesn't sound like you'd need the added complication of a LSD.

Signed,

This guy who meets all of the above and has managed fine for a couple decades among a few trucks with an open rear.

Last edited by erau; 07-10-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Kwalsh24
Amateur

Hmm well I don't plan on offroading with it, I do plan to use it in the winter months tho so there will be freezing at times. Not even entirely sure how long I'll keep the truck either. Hmm decisions decisions. How many miles have you out on the original stock setup?

Old 07-10-2019, 10:47 PM
djsilverjohnson
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, my 05 Dakota just seems to be a never ending project, after noticing the random harsh jumping the truck does when shifting from park, reverse or park & drive, seeing the extra play my drive shaft has when the harsh jumping happens, it appears now my rear end could be on its last legs, pulled the diff cover, found missing teeth on the ring gear, couldn't fully see the pinion to see what damage it has...

So curious what my options are. I would like to just get a good used rear end and I'm curious if I'm stuck with getting a rear end from another 05+ 4x4 or if there's alternatives? Been googling and searching but not finding much on these gens, more the gen2 getting the 9.25 upgrade...
My '06 came with the 3.55 open diff, but I scored a 3.92 with LSD and 50k miles and swapped that in to help with towing soon after buying the truck.. The LSD's had an issue with the clips holding the outside clutch plate tabs breaking. Dodge offered upgraded clips and I replaced mine right after getting it. I actually have an extra set of the clips in my toolbox if someone needs them.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Kwalsh24
Amateur
Default N

Hmm well, I've decided to hold off on the 3.55 open and keep my eyes open for a LSD. I'll take the chance and maybe look into how difficult it will be to upgrade the retainers. Any idea of these can be bought still?

Or how much would you want for your spare ones djsilverjohnson?65 khy cggvml8lnphjgb

Last edited by Kwalsh24; 07-27-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:53 AM
djsilverjohnson
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm well, I've decided to hold off on the 3.55 open and keep my eyes open for a LSD. I'll take the chance and maybe look into how difficult it will be to upgrade the retainers. Any idea of these can be bought still?

Or how much would you want for your spare ones djsilverjohnson?
I found them a couple of weeks ago while I was looking for something else. I just have to remember where I found them....,

Old 07-13-2019, 06:58 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by erau
Depends whether you need the added traction from a LSD. If you intend to always live in a non-freezing environment, never leave the pavement, and not power hard around corners, it doesn't sound like you'd need the added complication of a LSD.

Signed,

This guy who meets all of the above and has managed fine for a couple decades among a few trucks with an open rear.
Hmm well I don't plan on offroading with it, I do plan to use it in the winter months tho so there will be freezing at times. Not even entirely sure how long I'll keep the truck either. Hmm decisions decisions. How many miles have you out on the original stock setup?
At 125,000 miles with the 3.7L / 3.55 open, 14 years old, 2 gear oil changes since new, no issues at all. I've towed the largest U-Haul enclosed trailer at 6'x12' (2,000 pounds empty) full to the door with about 2,500 pounds of furniture/households (4,500 pounds total, upper legal limit of my truck rating) on 3 separate occasions and it handled it fine...Could stop well with brakes on all 4 axles among truck/trailer, just didn't accelerate better than a loaded freight train (who cares, no hurry). Just let it go from a stop wherever it's comfortable, don't push it, and keep it in "Tow/Haul" so the tranny stays locked in 3rd gear at speed and keeps it from "hunting" in and out of 4th.

Quick Reply: 05 Dakota rear end options?