3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission pan, gasket and fluid replace

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission pan, gasket and fluid replace

Hi all,

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota 3.7L 4WD, automatic. Should be the 42LRE transmission I believe. I've got a transmission fluid leak around the gasket of the transmission pan. To replace the pan/gasket, does it require the removal of any cross member underneath? For some reason I thought I read on here that it does, but when I look under the truck it looks like I've got enough clearance to just undo the pan bolts and take it off with ease.

Can anyone confirm either way?

Also, if anyone has any links for a nice quick change pan and correlating gasket, I'm all ears. Otherwise i'll google away.

Thanks much.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:37 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

On my 4.7, yes. The crossmember needed to be removed.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
On my 4.7, yes. The crossmember needed to be removed.
Ya know, I think the 3.7 and 4.7 have a different transmissions right? With a bit of searching here is a vid of a 3.7L 2007 Dodge Dakota where he doesn't have to remove the cross member apparently:

Looks the same underneath as mine. I'm not planning to flush it like the guy in the vid, just change of fluid, gasket and pan. So maybe us 3.7L folks with the 4 speed get a bit lucky there and don't have to remove the cross member. I'll be giving mine a go in a the next couple weeks and will report back on that once it's done. Appreciate the input.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

No crossmember removal needed on my 2005 3.7L 2WD with the 42RLE.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:17 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If there is enough room to remove the pan and filter without removing the cross member, then don't question it, just do it.

Are you doing a full fluid flush? When I did my step-son's car, I replaced the gasket and filter, then unhooked the return line and clamped a clear rubber hose to it and hooked it to a bucket. Made sure the car was on jack stands, started the car up and put it in neutral, which pumped the fluid out. At the same time I was dumping in new fluid while watch the fluid coming out of the clear hose into the bucket, when the fluid went from black to red I shut the car off and hooked the return line back up and let it sit for a while, then check the fluid and topped it off. All new fluid. Car runs greats.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Smokeykurt
Rookie

Originally Posted by ZEN357
If there is enough room to remove the pan and filter without removing the cross member, then don't question it, just do it.

Are you doing a full fluid flush? When I did my step-son's car, I replaced the gasket and filter, then unhooked the return line and clamped a clear rubber hose to it and hooked it to a bucket. Made sure the car was on jack stands, started the car up and put it in neutral, which pumped the fluid out. At the same time I was dumping in new fluid while watch the fluid coming out of the clear hose into the bucket, when the fluid went from black to red I shut the car off and hooked the return line back up and let it sit for a while, then check the fluid and topped it off. All new fluid. Car runs greats.
Yep, my plan is to replace the gasket, filter and pan when the parts get in (ordered online).

I've considered the full fluid flush. I have a couple friends who are older full-time mechanics and they suggest not doing flushes on older transmissions due to the possibility of transmission failure from dislodging stuff. Very possibly old wives tales, but it has me hesitant to do a full flush. My other logic is that due to the gasket leaking...I've already probably topped it off more than enough times from the leak to have essentially replaced the majority of the fluid lol. it's been leaking for about 6 months now, and I've diligently topped it off. I've put doing it off so long because of the possibility of having to remove the cross member...silly of me but the transmission still seems in great shape minus the leak and eventual cooler lines i'll need to replace (starting to look pretty rusty, i'm in the rust belt, sucks).

I was also able to find a quick fluid change transmission pan, with the bolt, so I figure i'll change the fluid regularly once I have the new pan on. What's leaking out is already red, instead of black, at this point, so i'm hopeful it won't really need a flush anyway. Will see how the fluid looks once i'm doing the pan/gasket.

I don't mean to take this thread off on a tangent, but what are folks thoughts on a transmission fluid flush on an older transmission? Bad idea, good idea, are my older mechanic friends leaning too much on old wives tales?

Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Your mechanic buddies are correct. Doing a flush is ASKING for transmission failure. When I worked at the dealership, when folks asked for it, we would tell them flat out, that we weren't responsible if their trans failed, and we would make them sign a release form. (usually, that convinced them we were serious, and NOT to do the flush.)

Old 07-14-2019, 08:01 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Your mechanic buddies are correct. Doing a flush is ASKING for transmission failure. When I worked at the dealership, when folks asked for it, we would tell them flat out, that we weren't responsible if their trans failed, and we would make them sign a release form. (usually, that convinced them we were serious, and NOT to do the flush.)
Sounds good. Yeah, seems like it's risky. I'll just stick with transmission fluid changes and not flushes then. FYI, I did the transmission pan, filter, and fluid today. Didn't have to remove the cross member (sweet). The new transmission pan comes with a quick fluid change bolt. Should make it easier to change the transmission fluid when I want too. FYI, to find a quick change one online for this transmission, I had to do some looking. Seems like it's the same pan as the Durango's of corresponding year, which eventually got me to the right quick change pan online.

Thanks for all the input folks!

Old 09-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Bryant Gelinas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans pan , 4.7.

Just changed filters and fluid in my '05 4.7, 545(whatever), 3 nights ago. Thought about removing tranny support crossmember, but did not. Wasn't to bad with 1/4 " drive ratchett.

Quick Reply: Transmission pan, gasket and fluid replace