3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Yet another set of brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 PM
lantzd
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yet another set of brake calipers

So I am now going on my third set of brake calipers on my 05 SLT 4WD. First set of Power Stop calipers seized up, the send me a replacement set, now those have seized up. I am not messing with that brand anymore so I ordered coated ACDelco calipers with a new set of pads and new rotors. I also feel that with all my recent issues I am going to completely flush the old brake fluid out as it may have moisture in the fluid and could be contributing to my problems. Does anyone else find the Dodge caliper pad clips to be a poor design? I am paranoid now about pads resting on the rotors and I feel like the abutment clips are very difficult to get in place without bending them out of the stock position. Anyway, just wanted to vent to my fellow Dakota owners about my seemingly nonstop front brake issues. So far I have installed new brake lines, new calipers, new pads, new rotors. This time it will be all new DOT3 fluid, calipers, pads, and rotors. Lets hope I can get 50k miles out of this install.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:03 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lantzd
So I am now going on my third set of brake calipers on my 05 SLT 4WD. First set of Power Stop calipers seized up, the send me a replacement set, now those have seized up. I am not messing with that brand anymore so I ordered coated ACDelco calipers with a new set of pads and new rotors. I also feel that with all my recent issues I am going to completely flush the old brake fluid out as it may have moisture in the fluid and could be contributing to my problems. Does anyone else find the Dodge caliper pad clips to be a poor design? I am paranoid now about pads resting on the rotors and I feel like the abutment clips are very difficult to get in place without bending them out of the stock position. Anyway, just wanted to vent to my fellow Dakota owners about my seemingly nonstop front brake issues. So far I have installed new brake lines, new calipers, new pads, new rotors. This time it will be all new DOT3 fluid, calipers, pads, and rotors. Lets hope I can get 50k miles out of this install.
Strange. I've never had caliper issues (still stock calipers) and I've never touched the fluid. Have been through 3 pad/rotor changes since new, and I believe all the new sets after factory OEM have been Raybestos.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:57 AM
lantzd
Amateur

I think my issues were initially moisture in the brake fluid. I noticed recently when adding brake fluid that there was a small tear in the rubber seal on the master cylinder cap. I think that is what seized up OEM calipers and since the fluid was never changed it was kept seizing the Power Stop calipers. I am getting a new cap for the master cylinder and doing a full fluid exchange. I cant imagine I will have more issues after doing all this so I hope it will all be worth it.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:02 PM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

I think my issues were initially moisture in the brake fluid. I noticed recently when adding brake fluid that there was a small tear in the rubber seal on the master cylinder cap. I think that is what seized up OEM calipers and since the fluid was never changed it was kept seizing the Power Stop calipers. I am getting a new cap for the master cylinder and doing a full fluid exchange. I cant imagine I will have more issues after doing all this so I hope it will all be worth it.
Sounds like the problem wasn't the Power Stop setup. Wonder how it would have worked out if the brake fluid was good...

Old 07-14-2019, 06:07 PM
lantzd
Amateur

Yes I initially thought the Power Stop brake calipers were the problem, I figured as far as rebuilt calipers, maybe they were not that reliable. I only went with them because they offered a powdercoated red option and it matched my truck and they were cheap. Only after replacing them twice did I notice the ever so slight tear in the rubber of the master cylinder cap. I will say this though, the Power Stop caliper piston boots did not last, they were all cracked and broken. This is likely due to them heating up from the stuck pads, but they were only on the truck for 8-10k miles. The ACDelco calipers I just got from Amazon build quality seem far superior as far as the rubber and pistons go.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:13 PM
philipat
Veteran

Yes I initially thought the Power Stop brake calipers were the problem, I figured as far as rebuilt calipers, maybe they were not that reliable. I only went with them because they offered a powdercoated red option and it matched my truck and they were cheap. Only after replacing them twice did I notice the ever so slight tear in the rubber of the master cylinder cap. I will say this though, the Power Stop caliper piston boots did not last, they were all cracked and broken. This is likely due to them heating up from the stuck pads, but they were only on the truck for 8-10k miles. The ACDelco calipers I just got from Amazon build quality seem far superior as far as the rubber and pistons go.

Good to know. I had considered Power Stop as a future replacement (upgrade). I didn't realize that they are rebuilt calipers. I thought they were new and better quality. Glad to hear your comparison. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:19 PM
lantzd
Amateur

Yea I really only went with them because they had the red powdercoated set. I did their drilled and slotted rotors as well but I haven't been too impressed with how they have been holding up. Granted they are not coated so its to be expected. This time around I got the Wagner coated rotors from RockAuto. Both the outer rim, outside hub and the inside hub that mates to the wheel bearing is coated black.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My calipers in my 05 are OEM and I haven't had an issue with them yet. ~crosses fingers~. Just did the front rotors/pads last year. When I was replacing my back brakes/cylinders, I decided to bleed all 4 brakes. Ended up having to replace the caliper bleeder screws on the front (they were rusted out). Aside from that though, they've been good.

Last edited by Smokeykurt; 07-14-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:58 PM
lantzd
Amateur

So I finally got around to doing a full brake job. All new parts:

New master cylinder cap (OEM)
Front-Calipers (ACDelco), Rotors (Wagner Coated), Pads (Wagner OEX)
Rear-Cylinders (ACDelco), Drums (Wagner Coated), Shoes (Monroe), Spring Kit, Self Adjustment Kit

Did a full brake fluid change (Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3) as well and a proper brake bleed in correct order.

Lets hope this lasts for at least a year this time.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:38 AM
philipat
Veteran

I hope it works out.

Did you replace the rear drums because they were Stop Power drums? Or, just because it was time?

Quick Reply: Yet another set of brake calipers