3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Reference: Bench Seat Construction

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 08:50 PM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rodslinger
I wish I took some but was in a rush.

I just used whatever I could find at Joanne Fabrics. It wasn't as dense as the OEM foam but worked. The stuff I bought was 1" thick, about 22" wide and on a roll about 4' long. I cut two pieces that fit perfectly in the pocket of the bottom side of the cushion and curled it at the front to match the cutout for the seat frame.

One extra step I did was cut out and glue part of an old towel to the bottom of the foam to help keep the seat frame wire from cutting through it. It did look like the OEM foam had some sort of protective cloth on the bottom for that same purpose so I tried to do the same.

​​
This stuff? https://www.joann.com/airtex-1-high-...20Foam&start=1 or https://www.joann.com/heavy-duty-foa.../11178092.html

I noticed the fabric when I had my cushion out. I had to glue some of the cushion back together because it had started to split in a few spots. I saw in this post that landscaping fabric is same thing as the fabric they used on the cushions. I have plenty of that. So, I used some spray (aerosol) adhesive to reinforce the back with my landscaping fabric.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:40 AM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes. That is the exact foam I bought.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:23 AM
philipat
Veteran

Originally Posted by rodslinger
Yes. That is the exact foam I bought.
Cool. Thanks. I will probably hit you up later with photos to try to copy your placement of the foam.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:25 AM
philipat
Veteran

Trying to mimic what you did. Attached is a picture of the underside of my seat cushion. The red boxes are where I think you described putting the extra padding. The blue boxes are "cutouts" or indentations that appear to go over the frame. I wasn't going to add padding there.

Do my boxes line up with what you did?

TIA

Quick Reply: Reference: Bench Seat Construction