3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Injectors have you replaced? How many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 12:38 PM
Farmmech
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injectors have you replaced? How many miles?

Injectors
Thinking my 3.7 is shaking even more than a 3.7 should. No codes, I'll probably do hoses first, but I was wondering, how many of you have changed out your injectors and how long do they typically last?

Old 11-29-2020, 07:33 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Never. The only thing I've ever done to the fuel system is periodically run 2 bottles of Techron in a full tank when doing a long road trip. Still the same factory fuel filter too. Also changed the plugs about every 50,000 miles (OEM NGK copper every time). I'll clean out the throttle body about that often too.

Make sure your air filter is clean. Also, if you read the "fine print" in the service manual (stickied in this forum), you'll note that the knock-sensor info is disregarded during idle. Why they did that, I'm not sure...But our V6 with a 90-degree "V" (they essentially took the 4.7L V8 and hacked 2 cylinders off it) is not "natural" in terms of balancing for a V6, whereas a 60-degree "V" is (360 degrees of one crank turn divided by 6 cylinders = one cylinder at top-dead center exactly every 60 degrees, or an ignition cycle at even intervals of every 120 degrees as the crank makes 2 full revolutions/720 degrees for the firing of all 6 cylinders). On the other hand, our 90-degree V6 must still fire all 6 cylinders in that same 720 degrees of revolution of the crank, and must still eventually have every cylinder at top-dead center for each 360-degree revolution of the crank, but 360 degrees divided by 6 is 60 degrees...not 90 degrees. So while a 90-degree "V" is natural and balancing for a V8 (360 divided by 8 is 45 degrees, and 90 degrees is a multiple of that), a 90-degree "V" is not naturally balancing for our 3.7L V6...Hence our V6s have a balancing shaft located "inside" the "V" and is rotated by one of the timing chain pulleys, something that is unnecessary and missing in the 4.7L V8.

Anyway, to make a long story long, 1) your engine is not naturally balanced like most other V6s on the market, and 2) the knock-sensor info is disregarded by the PCM at idle. Mine has never been that smooth at dead idle, but above idle, it smooths out immediately. If yours is shaky above idle, I'd be concerned.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:29 PM
Farmmech
Amateur

Originally Posted by erau
Never. The only thing I've ever done to the fuel system is periodically run 2 bottles of Techron in a full tank when doing a long road trip. Still the same factory fuel filter too. Also changed the plugs about every 50,000 miles (OEM NGK copper every time). I'll clean out the throttle body about that often too.

Make sure your air filter is clean. Also, if you read the "fine print" in the service manual (stickied in this forum), you'll note that the knock-sensor info is disregarded during idle. Why they did that, I'm not sure...But our V6 with a 90-degree "V" (they essentially took the 4.7L V8 and hacked 2 cylinders off it) is not "natural" in terms of balancing for a V6, whereas a 60-degree "V" is (360 degrees of one crank turn divided by 6 cylinders = one cylinder at top-dead center exactly every 60 degrees, or an ignition cycle at even intervals of every 120 degrees as the crank makes 2 full revolutions/720 degrees for the firing of all 6 cylinders). On the other hand, our 90-degree V6 must still fire all 6 cylinders in that same 720 degrees of revolution of the crank, and must still eventually have every cylinder at top-dead center for each 360-degree revolution of the crank, but 360 degrees divided by 6 is 60 degrees...not 90 degrees. So while a 90-degree "V" is natural and balancing for a V8 (360 divided by 8 is 45 degrees, and 90 degrees is a multiple of that), a 90-degree "V" is not naturally balancing for our 3.7L V6...Hence our V6s have a balancing shaft located "inside" the "V" and is rotated by one of the timing chain pulleys, something that is unnecessary and missing in the 4.7L V8.

Anyway, to make a long story long, 1) your engine is not naturally balanced like most other V6s on the market, and 2) the knock-sensor info is disregarded by the PCM at idle. Mine has never been that smooth at dead idle, but above idle, it smooths out immediately. If yours is shaky above idle, I'd be concerned.
I actually tried to make note in my OP that I'm aware they shake. I own a service manual. Sorry for all the typing you did but I was aware of that. Just wanting to see how long folks have had their injectors in. Good chance the knock senor is blocked to avoid it throwing a code.
Mine will periodically stall. That is not normal.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:35 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I see that a set of 6 is only $30, so it wouldn't be expensive to change if you wanted to rule them out as the problem.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:31 AM
Farmmech
Amateur

Originally Posted by Jaded
I see that a set of 6 is only $30, so it wouldn't be expensive to change if you wanted to rule them out as the problem.
Well, $50 in Canada, but what's the life expectancy?
That's the point of the thread.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:37 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Life expectancy? I've never seen a failure with multi port injectors. I'd say without a fuel contamination event they outlive the engine. Just my .02. Last time I had my tires rotated they suggested a fuel injector cleaning with their machine, been meaning to see if that does any good or not. Figured that was for the direct injected cars that have issues with carbon fouled injectors.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaded
Life expectancy? I've never seen a failure with multi port injectors. I'd say without a fuel contamination event they outlive the engine. Just my .02. Last time I had my tires rotated they suggested a fuel injector cleaning with their machine, been meaning to see if that does any good or not. Figured that was for the direct injected cars that have issues with carbon fouled injectors.
Injector cleaning has been a thing since fuel injection first came about. The injectors don't live in a real friendly environment, and over the years, the quality of gas hasn't really been consistent either. Even getting gas at a good station can give you issues, if you fuel up at the wrong time. (like, while the truck is there refilling their tanks.... stirs up all the crap that accumulates in the tank....)

For the most part though, injectors are essentially 'maintenance free'. Cleaning them sure won't hurt, and on occasion, will actually help. Flow matched injectors make a nice difference in how smooth the engine runs though. But, is it worth spending the money on? I never bothered, unless I was changing them for some other reason. Back in the late 80's, early 90's, GM had issues with their injectors. Higher grade fuels would actually eat the coating off the injector coils, causing them to short out...... We would regularly see Camaros that ran like crap because of it. We took to keeping a nice stock of injectors, and if we found one bad one, we would replace one. If we found two bad ones, we would replace them ALL.

The following users liked this post:
Jaded (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:11 PM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Injectors are flow matched from the factory and if they get excessively dirty or clogged you are better off sending them out to get cleaned by a reputable injector service shop or sometimes a diesel shop that specializes in cleaning them properly and checking their flow.When they are returned they will function like new.Putting in aftermarket injector may not be the ideal solution because most are not flow matched to each other for consistent performance.So it's better to run Gumout Regane high mileage in a 1/2 tank of fuel a few times and clean the throttle body imho.

Quick Reply: Injectors have you replaced? How many miles?