3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rattle near radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:01 PM
jenn158
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle near radio

I have an 05 Dak and I have a rattle going on that's driving me nuts. The rattle does not happen all of the time (can't seem to find a pattern to it). The rattle seems to be coming from the left side of the radio bezel near the vent. If it's rattling and I push on it, the rattle quits. After a few hours the rattle is back again until I push on it again. I've had it to the dealership at least five times and they can't seem to fix it. They first put insulation tape behind the bezel (didn't work) and supposedly replaced the ugly wood grain bezel (didn't work either). Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

thanks

Old 02-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Drakkon
Professional
Default RE: Rattle near radio

i would say if your adventerous try taking off the bezel yourself (two screws at bottom, slowly pry up and out) along and take out the radio (2-4 screws that hold it in place i think, then disconnect wiring from rear), and just drive around and see if anything makes noise. If it doesn't then its probobly the bezel and then just need to find the contact point thats rattling and put more insulation (find some fatmat/dynamat can work great).

Old 02-02-2006, 04:48 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something like that when I owned my 1990 Grand Am. It squeaked... a lot. I finally took the dash apart and tightened up some screws. Fixed the problem. Sounds like you might have something loose inside the dash also.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:54 PM
jenn158

Well, before I had the radio rattle, I had a real bad dash rattle (it was around the gauges). At this point, I didn't have the radio rattle. I took it to the dealer and they said they tightened up four screws and that problem was fixed. A few weeks later, I noticed the radio rattle. I seem to think that it's around the radio bezel since when I push on it, the rattle quits.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:49 PM
WorrGames
Professional

Yeah I seem to be having the same problem, except that it was coming from the passenger side airbag, we wiggled it around and it stopped :-P But now, if I accelerate quickly, theres like a rattle coming from somewhere in the dash, dunno where. I know its going to start pissing me off soon.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:11 PM
DakotaStone
Champion

I would just take it back to them and have them fix the problem. It's covered under the warranty.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:33 AM
WorrGames
Professional

yeah ill give them a call soon. Im just thinking though, with all these dealer stories, about them never fixing a problem no matter how many times they attempt to fix a car/ truck. Im just worried if I bring in my dak, nothing will change :-/

Old 02-03-2006, 03:52 AM
DakotaStone
Champion

That's only at certain dealerships. If you build a rapport with them, you'll be able to get them to do the job right. It shouldn't have to be that way, but unfortunately, sometimes it is.

My dealership is good at fixing my problems in my truck, even though i haven't had a lot of problems.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:52 PM
WorrGames
Professional

Yeah these guys I got my dak from seem pretty cool, and dont seem like typical salesman. I think theyll do an alright job. Thank god for warranties.

Quick Reply: Rattle near radio