3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

What are your thoughts on the Chevy Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 02:32 AM
ptschett
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What are your thoughts on the Chevy Colorado

Back on topic...

I'd rather push a Ford Ranger than drive a Colorado

I just couldn't find much about the Colorado that I liked. The I5 and automatic do not play well together. (GM apparently lopped the magic 71HP cylinder off when they truncated the TrailBlazer 4.2 I6.) Something about the styling reminds me of those pickups you see the guerilla soldiers use as gun platforms when the TV news covers a revolution in some third-world country -- the Isuzu influence on the platform may have something to do with it. The one I drove wasn't nearly as fun to drive in curves as my Dakota, despite both being extended cab 4x4's with tall-sidewall tires. The interior didn't seem like much of an improvement in size from the compact pickups like the Ranger, and I wanted something that had a chance of towing a car on a trailer without being overloaded. Overall it just didn't seem as good of a value as the Dakota did.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:26 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see a mod smackdown on other forums.

I bought a used 5.9 Dak over a new one (and it was a struggle) because I wanted more motor than the 4.7 and I absolutely cannot get over the front bumper on the new Daks. It's easily fixed by fabbing a tube bumper, but jeez. The Canyon/Colorado though, that's a good looking truck. I like everything about the Dakota better though, except the front end. It's like when the new 7 series BMW came out and everybody was complaining about the *** end on it, how it looked like the car had been designed by a committee except the guy in charge of the back end only showed up on the last day.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
lars

I was originally going to trade my ranger for a Colorado, but then I drove it. It felt cheap, small and kinda rough. Looks great in my opinnion but didnt compare to the silverado or Dakota I drove. I got a better deal on a Demo dakota and really like it, just wish it sat a little higher. So far it seems to be the perfect size truck for me anyway

Old 03-15-2006, 09:36 PM
cs1992

Had a chance to sit in a crew cab Colorado while my vehicle was in for TSB work.

When I first saw it, I was impressed. As has been stated, it is a nice looking vehicle. However, looks can be deceiving. After I opened the door and sat down I felt like I had left the USA and landed in a dealership in the former USSR. The interior was that bad! It really reminded me of something purely utilitarian, something that would have been mass produced from a second world country. What was Chevy thinking?

I hope GM addresses the interior of these vehicles soon. Why don't they offer the interior of the H3 in these trucks? Oh, I know...probably because these trucks are so overpriced to begin with.

Next time, maybe I'll drive one...but I don't expect much.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Frenchy
Banned

I like the Colorado, only for the fact that it has the availability to be a single cab... and it's sport package, includes more than body colored bumpers and grilles.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:28 PM
fourdaywillie
Rookie

All I have to say is that it is a step up from the S-10. S-10=****. Need I say anymore?

Old 03-25-2006, 12:31 PM
bearkat

Yeh its a little better than S-10 but to me compared to Dakota or Tacoma that it is way ugly and to small. And just looks less quality than these. Get a Dakota, its a VERY solid truck. As you can tell by the 500 lbs more weight than the Tacoma. Yes heavier, but more solidly built and safer.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Kremithefrog

Worked on a canyon today. I don't think the interior looks too bad, but maybe the quality of it isn't great. My main complaint with the colorado/canyon is size. It just does not feel like a truck when you sit in it. If I buy a truck, I want the space of a truck, not of a compact car. The 5 cylinder seems to be a good engine and should be the base engine. There should be a v6 a bit more powerful than the 5 cylinder available.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Frenchy
Banned

Maybe it was just the one I saw today but I was at a sports show and the local Chevy dealer had some trucks there, and the Colorado they had there, had the WORST welding job in the box of the truck. The salesman there said it was a sealant weld, then looked confused as he looked at it more. This weld, had to protrude from the floor of the box a good 1/2" and it looked very ****ty.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

As strange as it may seem, I actually like the S-10's alot more than the colorados. They need to offer a V-6 in it.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on the Chevy Colorado