3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

What are your thoughts on the Chevy Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:52 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What are your thoughts on the Chevy Colorado

I liked the S-10's alot more too.......i especially liked the GMC 4-door sonoma's with the ZR-5 package......buddy of mine had one and it is a very nice little truck. he never has had any problems with it ever, but it is kind of worthless in the bed catagory. it did have a 4.3 Vortec v6, which IMO is a hell of alot better than the I5 chebby makes now. Either way they the dakota is the nicer truck.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:23 AM
HemiMan4451
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jnellydodge

I liked the S-10's alot more too.......i especially liked the GMC 4-door sonoma's with the ZR-5 package......buddy of mine had one and it is a very nice little truck. he never has had any problems with it ever, but it is kind of worthless in the bed catagory. it did have a 4.3 Vortec v6, which IMO is a hell of alot better than the I5 chebby makes now. Either way they the dakota is the nicer truck.
Yea, I like seing the S-10's with the raised ride height and beefier tires, they look nice.

On the subject of the colorado, isn't thet S-10 actually bigger? It seems so to me. I would not buy a colorado, too small, and the 5-cylinder is the top engine.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:07 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Yeah i agree....

That I5 that GM has is a joke IMO. Doesnt get any better mileage than say the 4.3 and doesnt have the Torque of the 4.3.....why they replaced it is beyond me, gm is just dumb i guess.....that was a good v6 motor.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:55 AM
cs1992

If you read any Colorado message boards, you will find that most owners prefer the I5 to the previous V6. Although the V6 had more torque, the I5 certainly offers more HP. Most owners seem pretty happy with the power of the I5 and considering the Dakota has 10 HP less in their 3.7L (and the fact the Colorado weighs much less than a Dakota), it appears adequate. Having driven both the I5 and old V6, I can honestly say that the I5 is much peppier. I found the V6 to ba a sloth. Although it may not be able to remove tree stumps as easily, I'd rather have it (I5) than the V6. The Dakota is still a much better vehicle and the Colorado can not touch it qualitywise.

Chevy does need to offer a V6. But, that will happen the day that they decide to upgrade their shoddy interiors.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:46 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Idk too much about the I5, but if it was me id rather have the extra cylinder and the torque of the 4.3 than the hp of the I5. There is no replacement for displacement. And as for the pep, well my buddies ZR5 seems like it has just as much get up and go as an I5 trailblazer. Not trying to argue or anything, all i am saying i guess is in my opinion, the 4.3 was/is a good motor.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:54 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont like how it drives, the inside is horrible. 5 cyl? cmon what country am I in. No thanks. The dakota is actually my first Dodge Pickup and I have to say, if Chevy had made a nice midsize I would of went chevy most likely.

The colorado is to small in the cab, the engine isnt refined, i can hear every little thing going on outside. It's built like a cavalier. I just couldnt have it, no matter how cheap.

Oh well...

Lovin' my 06 Dakota!

Old 04-01-2006, 06:01 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

We have an 88' S-10 with the 4.3 V-6 and it's still running strong. I don't think I'd like the 5-cylinder.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on the Chevy Colorado