3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Do it yourseld spray on Bed liners

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Richerson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do it yourseld spray on Bed liners

Im trading my Ram 1500 in on a 06 Dakota and am looking at spray on or paint on bed liners. I was wondering what peoples opinions of the do it yourself paint on or spray on bed liners are. I would like to have it professionally done but Im too cheap to do that.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:15 AM
thump186
Record Breaker
Default RE: Do it yourseld spray on Bed liners

The roll on liner is a decent product. Just make sure that you follow the directions and make sure the surface is prepped well. I don't think it is as hard of a product as the pro stuff but it is good for what you spend.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you get the hurculiner be prepared to spend most of the day stripping and preping bed. i did my 97 full size and was happy with the results. becarefull not to over roll any area you dont want covered. do it out doors on a nice day or the fumes will get to you.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:48 PM
RMUDBUGS
Professional

I'm to lazy to do it myself. Sounds like a lot of work. If you have a professional put it in then you get a warranty with it...Besides it's less than 400 buck's at most places and I got a place to do mine for 325. Well worth it and it looks great.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Spenc79

I got the dealer to install one at no charge when I got the truck.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:43 PM
tasmanohio
Professional

Thats what i did. I told them i would not buy my truck if they would not do it. I almost walked then dude was like let me go ck. and came back in 2 mins and say yes.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:22 PM
lil
Captain

Drop in liners can't compair to a spay on liner, when my truck was in for body repairs I had them throw away the bed liner that came with it and will be having a Rino Liner spayed in like my last Dakota had.........drop-ins are just a place for rust and corrosion to set in they crack, and over the rail style wear through the paint right down to the metal over time.
Hurculiner roll on is about $100.00 for the kit at most auto parts outlets and if you are willing to do the prep and work then I would go that way....but I am lazy and will be having a Rino Liner installed in a few weeks in time for fall.

I found a really good thread on this subject you might want to check out.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/archive...o=&fpart=1.htm

Old 08-11-2006, 06:29 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

now as far as my o5 dak is concerned. i went with the bed rug, under my tonneau. i dont usually put and harmfull materials in my truck. i have the utility trailer for that.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:11 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am probablly going to get some negative feedback about this but here it goes.... I'd rather have a plastic, under the rail liner over the spray in. Let me explain: Under the rail liners wont warp, like an over the rail, because it huge the bed walls firm. Also, the biggest thing that a plastic liner has going over a spray in one, is that it obsorbs shock, very well. Plastic bed liners provide shock absorption, like when your chucking things into the bed. Also, weve had many plastic bed liners that have never caused a damaging ammount of rust, if any. I set up my dakota with an under the rail liner, then matching rail caps. I love it. My father had a spray-in liner with his ranger, that he got after a company tried wedging a pallet int he bed and damaging it bad, they paid for it to be repaired and the liner was cheaper then re-painting. Anyway, his liner is awesome too, not sure what spray-in brand it is. only thing is, weve dened the bed a few times with dirt bikes and stuff, and actually chipped a bit of the spray on. I think there both good, but there is some plus's about the classic plastic liner.

Quick Reply: Do it yourseld spray on Bed liners