3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

DRIVE TRAIN "KLUNK"???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 PM
RMUDBUGS
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRIVE TRAIN "KLUNK"???

Does anyone out there have a "KLUNK" when shifting from P to D or P to R and back? Sounds like it is coming from the rear end. Is this normal?

4.7L Automatic with LSD rear end

Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: DRIVE TRAIN "KLUNK"???

no, but check you universal joint it might be blow already, or even loose. my 97 full size was the same way

Old 07-27-2006, 10:45 PM
GemmySan
Rookie

2006 QC 4X4 SLT 3.92 4.7L

I have had mine at the dealer 3 times for this very issue...3,000 miles and I get a "KLUNK" just as you describe.

Visit #1: Yep, you got a "KLUNK" so tranny man takes a look...says the solenoid needs to be replaced. I make an appointment.

Visit #2: At the scheduled appointment they replace valve, fluid, filters, gaskets... "KLUNK" stops for a week, then returns.

Visit #3: Tranny man takes a look again and does reference on TSB's. Contacts Chrysler and they wanted to know if a new solenoid kit had been installed. Yep was the response. They told the mechanic that they were aware of this 'problem/condition' but no further solution had been found and they were working on it and to check back later.

I have no reason to disbelieve my mechanic who has over 30 years working on transmissions. I told him that I would continue to report the problem at each visit and if it gets worse, they will hear about it. Aggrevating and annoying isn't it!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:21 AM
SinceOne
Rookie

crap...

i get that noise.. thought it was normal.

what problems can this lead to if it isnt fixed

Old 07-28-2006, 09:35 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

I too get the noise at times!

Old 07-29-2006, 08:05 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Yah all are killing me. I just got 3300 on this thing and all these post are screeming LEMON is a coming. 32k to the good Doctor Z and I do not beleive he has a clue.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:27 AM
firstdakota

Just my luck! First time i buy something other than a Ford....i work for Ford....i get a lemon. MY 2006 Dakota has a serious thump in the transmission. Dealer say it is nothing to worry about! What a joke. [:@] Other than that i love the truck......but i think i will be going back to a Ford after this lease is up!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM
GemmySan
Rookie

ORIGINAL: firstdakota

Just my luck! First time i buy something other than a Ford....i work for Ford....i get a lemon. MY 2006 Dakota has a serious thump in the transmission. Dealer say it is nothing to worry about! What a joke. [:@] Other than that i love the truck......but i think i will be going back to a Ford after this lease is up!
I don't blame you. Then you can become part of the recent Ford recall of 1.2 million just after last falls 3.8 mill for possible vehicle fire caused by faulty cruise control....

Youse pays ya mony and youse takes ya chances....

BTW, I do currently own a Ford, Chevy, and Dodge and like each one.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Glk21C
Professional

yep, been hearing the klunk for a while. Was going to ask about it the next time I bring it to the dealer in a few weeks. Thanks GemmySam for the good report, gives me some info in the back pocket when I'm told "it's normal"

Old 08-07-2006, 11:23 PM
GemmySan
Rookie

Yeah, both the mechanic (service technician) and the service manager told me to mention that the tranny had the noise and to check it out everytime I brought it in. Enough people can move mountains...

Quick Reply: DRIVE TRAIN "KLUNK"???