3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Attention Again 2005 Dakota Owner's 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:27 AM
Chad05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention Again 2005 Dakota Owner's 2

NHTSA Investigating 500,000 Dodge Durangos and Dakotas for Steering Problems that Could Lead to Loss of Control
Nov 2, 2005 | NewsInferno.com
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has opened an official investigation of approximately 500,000 Dodge Durangos (2000, 2004, and 2005 NHTSA Action Numbers PE99074 and PE05056) and Dodge Dakotas 2005 Action Number PE05056) based upon a mounting number of reports related to problems in the steering shaft that could lead to a loss of control.

While the NHTSA states that it has no reports of crashes or injuries, ConsumerAffairs.com has received several reports of accidents caused by steering problems.

These vehicle models are also under scrutiny for a number of other problems including oil pressure failures, brake and rotor problems, and continued and repeated ball joint failures.

Look at this more issues with the dakota, and no i'm not bein a smart *** just putting this out there so people will know what's going on.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:31 AM
sdsdsd
Captain
Default RE: Attention Again 2005 Dakota Owner's 2

Well I guess the brake problem will finnally get attention !

Old 07-28-2006, 03:24 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

If you buy a first year model car/truck you better expect recalls, all car companys have them. Heck Toyota is king of them and still considered high quality. I guess I'll be taking my truck in when I get the letter. I hope they recall the breaks so you can get your problems fixed.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:10 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2coff

Heck Toyota is king of them and still considered high quality.
And their being investegated or whatever for covering recalls up.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Drakkon
Professional

that article was back in 2005....what have they done so far? no recalls issues you say?
i wish the NTSB would get off thier asses already and make dodge fix these trucks

Old 07-29-2006, 07:56 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

I new I should had bought a Tundra.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Chad05
Professional

I think we will all get through these problem's, it's a new model new truck and before you know it they will figure out everything , that is if the dealership's cooperate with us, like that member that got the engine stumbling checked out chrysler know's about it and will be fixing it soon, my question is how do they already know about it, if the dealership's checked it out but found no problem's why would they contact chrysler huh?

Old 07-30-2006, 03:22 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

hm, one time when i pulled into a parking lot (thankfully empty one) my steering froze completely, locked. I stopped, turned off the truck got out checked it got back in turned it on and it was fine. It hasn't happened since but that was odd.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:46 PM
cody kid

All 2005/2006 owners take a look at NHTSA complaints for Dakota brakes.

Cold facts are: 2005 -- as of 5:15pm EDT today.
Total 96 complaints of which 36 are brake related. Note: there are several of the 36 that
are mixed in with suspension problems, but brakes are still mentioned.

Cold facts are 2006 -- as of 5:23pm EDT today.
Total 7 complaints of which 3 are brake related.

Out of 103 total complaints for the 2005/06 models there are 43 brake problems noted, that is almost 45%. That is too many brake problems. With the 45% of braking complaints, why hasn't the NHTSA done anything to date on following up and find out more about the problem. I entered a complaint and have not heard word one from NHTSA.

Have you ever towed a loaded trailer in hilly or mountainous areas and had to do an emergency stop. This is not a fun game. Depending how the Dakota was spec'd out from the factory the standard brakes are dangerous irregardless of towing or not. The brakes are the same for the Dakota with the factory towing option as the bare bones V6 without towing. Does this make sense? The crew & club cabs with the V8 are even heavier yet to begin with and then add the tow option.

If you want better brakes, LOG ON TO THE NHTSA.COM site file a complaint about inadequate and vibrating brakes. The TSB, 05-004-05 REV. A does not fix the problem. It only replaces the lining material with a soft compound, does not increase braking lining area. Does not change the lining compound of the front pads. It appears the bulletin was issued to SNOW JOB the NHTSA with the pretense that Dodge was doing something.

YOU KNOW HOW OUR SYSTEM WORKS -- NOTHING HAPPENS UNTIL SOME BIG WHEEL'S SPOILED BRAT GETS HURT OR KILLED! Then all hell breaks loose. Then Dodge issues a news release stating "We have had no complaints about brake problems " and the NHTSA continues to sit on their collective hands in silence to appease the manufacturers and not make waves.

DO SOMETHING OUT THERE, JUST NOT MAKE COMPLAINTS ON THE FORUM only Dodge owners read these not the NHTSA or Dodge. Dodge does not want to know what the real problem are as it may eat into the STOCKHOLDERS dividend. God forbid!!! But is it the stockholders that generate the dividends, no it is the comsumers that generate the revenue for the dividend, pay all the inflated executives wages/bonuses, and employee wages. REMEMBER IT IS THE MONEY THAT TALKS.

Quick Reply: Attention Again 2005 Dakota Owner's 2