3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Offroad ability

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:34 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offroad ability

how offroadable is the new dakota?

I want to get one, but if I cant go through trails and what not, what is the point...

My cousin is getting the 06 Ranger FX4 Level II... doesnt dodge offer any kind off GOOD offroad package? the TRX4 package doesnt seem to lift the truck at all and it doesnt even come with good tires

I know that Mitsu is offering the Raider with good offroad tires... the BFG all terrains. The ranger FX4 has them, so does the S10 ZR2

why doesnt dodge do anything good with the Dakota

Old 08-19-2006, 08:13 PM
graythang
Record Breaker
Default RE: Offroad ability

The TRX4 does come with BFGs 265 16 LT KO tires with a dedicated wheel package. The lift is 1” higher than other Daks. It also has the skid plates etc. Yes, it could sit higher but I think it is a perfect balance for off road and highway. I am disappointed that the V8 4X4s don’t come with 4 wheel disks and larger drilled or slotted breaking system. There is allot left to be desired and all will need to be added after market. Such us life with Daimlers

Old 08-19-2006, 09:00 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

Are the BFGs an option? I could have sworn all the TRX4s at dick scott dodge here in Michigan have crappy goodyears

but thats good to wrong that I can get them stock... My next vechile will stay stock because I will use it as a daily driver and it will be on a lease

Old 08-19-2006, 09:03 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Yes they are stock on the TRX4

[IMG]local://upfiles/40810/921CE4E9F10F48C89DC9924CD78CAC27.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-19-2006, 09:49 PM
sstreckfuss

Having done more than a fair amount of offroading in my time I would not consider either the Dak, raider, nor the ranger a good option for offroading. If you want something to offroad go with something that has 2 solid axles front and rear, has a light weight with low center of gravity, and a real low range 4wd. A lift and good offroad tires will only get you so far, and IMHO that isn't very far. Besides that adding a lift and offroad tires to a vehicle should be basic skills for someone wanting to "offroad", if you are doing anything worth doing things will break and you need to have the skills to fix things.....

Old 08-19-2006, 11:42 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

maybe you didnt read the post, or understand it fully.... I will not be hardcore offroading w/ a stock vechile.. All I want is to be able to hit a few trails and not get stuck.. I had a few bad situations with my 06 Durango just trying to get to my cabin from the road during the winter
and my Jeep hasnt been the best either for what I need

The primary reason for the truck would be to go to Silver Lake and just be there for when we are done riding the real fun machines(quads and dirtbikes)

I know the "basic skills of offroading" Ive been doing it since I was 13(Im 20 now)... I was a mechanic at a local shop last year..

But besides that, it is nice to see some more real offroaders here, what do you wheel? Currently up at my uncles shop, we've been messin around with a diesel sammy w/lockers, 2in body, and huge susp. lift, I think it now has 35in swampers... but mostly I stick to quads

Old 08-20-2006, 12:14 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as far as offroading in the dak, my problem was the low center. i went through a foot of water crossing the streams to get to the local watering hole but thats it. this past winter had 15 inches of snow in ct, and had no trouble blasting through it. but as far as a hard core off roadder not a good truck. using it locally around sand trails and mud holes it will be fine. also ask the dealer to get you the frt skid plate. this will be a bonus.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:34 AM
sstreckfuss

I'm a jeep wrangler guy as far as offroading goes...nothing else I've tried can compare,. I have heard of sammies being excellent alternatives though due to them being lighter and cheaper to get parts for, can't say I have actually tried one though. I am rather curious to see what the Dak would do, I am not expecting much but I would like it to take it to a couple camping spots in Moab with the family, Top of the World trail is awe inspiring and would like to take the wife and kid up there.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:01 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

ORIGINAL: graythang

Yes they are stock on the TRX4

[IMG]local://upfiles/40810/921CE4E9F10F48C89DC9924CD78CAC27.jpg[/IMG]
hey graythang, you have a dakota that sits 1" higher than mine and all so I wanted to ask: if i bought those rims with the BFG tires do you think they would fit on my 05 dakota? I wanted to get a more beefy off road rim and tire for my truck but some place talked about jnot having enough wheel well clearence with a 17" rim and off road tire. I think the TRX rims are 16" but i'm just checking, i really like the style!

Old 08-20-2006, 04:15 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

I would imagine that the 1" rise wouldn't make a difference as far as clearance. The stock SLT 4X4 rim is the same size as the TRX just a different style. The BFG 265 70 TA tire most likely is the same OD as stock tires and rims on a SLT 4X4 non-TRX4. I haven’t taken a measurement or anything so this is pure speculation. The package looks good and I really like the tires. They seem like good balance of all terrain. I haven’t gotten stuck in the sugar sand here in FL yet.

Oh yes the rim is 16"

Quick Reply: Offroad ability