3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Ordering Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:28 PM
5mtDakota47
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering Issues...

Hi,

I own a '00 Dakota with the v8 and the 5sp 4x2. Anyhow, I am trying to buy another Dakota (Def not trading the '00!), and I am having all sorts of problems ordering a 2007 Dodge Dakota Club Cab v8 with the 6 speed manual transmission. I was told that I can't get the v8 in a stick no more, by two dealers! I've contacted Dodge and for some reason they are telling me that the 4.7 l V8 with 6 speed manual is with the SLT series and not the ST series. According to them the ST is limited by the v6 only. However, if I got the SLT, I can get the v8 with the manual transmission. So, I called the dealer back, and I showed them the e-mail sent from Senior rep at Dodge (by e-mailing it to them), and they told me that they would call me back in about 10 minutes. He finally called me back, and he stated that it won't be available until the second week in January.

Now this is what baffles me -

1. According to the Dakota brochure, Dodge does offer the ST in a v8 with the 6 speed MT.
2. According to the Dodge website, Dodge does off the ST in a v8 with the 6 speed MT.
3. According to the Dodge brochure, Dodge does offer the SLT in a v8 with the 6 speed MT.
4. According to the Dodge website, Dodge does NOT offer the SLT in a v8 with the 6 speed MT.
5. According to one of the dealers, Dodge says that they discontinued the v8 with the manual transmission in the ST, SLT.
6. According to the second dealership, Dodge is having a manufacturing issue and it won't be available to order until the second week in January.
7. According to a Senior Rep at Dodge, now the only way to get a Dakota with the v8 and 6 speed manual transmission is if I get the SLT package.

Sorry I am asking too much... but I am unhappy that manufacturers are not offering manuals in trucks no more especially with a v8. To me, a truck without a v8 and a manual transmission is no truck. Sorry if I offend anyone, but a truck is a truck - not a luxury land yacht!

Old 12-30-2006, 05:18 PM
ETXDak
Veteran
Default RE: Ordering Issues...

From what I heard they're setting on a bunch of 06s so production on the 07s is kinda of iffy,you should be able to get a good deal on a 06.I think they're trying to produce the more popular optioned trucks for 07.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:29 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 5mtDakota47
1. According to the Dakota brochure, Dodge does offer the ST in a v8 with the 6 speed MT.
2. According to the Dodge website, Dodge does off the ST in a v8 with the 6 speed MT.
3. According to the Dodge brochure, Dodge does offer the SLT in a v8 with the 6 speed MT.
4. According to the Dodge website, Dodge does NOT offer the SLT in a v8 with the 6 speed MT.
Here is where technicalities come in:
The brochure states, "4.7L Magnum V8/6-Speed Manual" is an option with the ST and SLT (N/A on the Laramie).
Please note that in the Dodge equip and price, there is no "plain" 4.7L. You have the Flex Fuel, and the High-Output, both of which the brochure specifically state are 5-speed automatics only.

Believe me, I'm not agreeing with them, just merely clarifying.
And like ETXDak said, you can easily get a brand new '06 with the options you want, since Chrysler over-produced the '06's, and now its killing them.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:45 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first of all, you can order what ever you want in your truck. thats what options are for. they will special make your truck with what ever you want in it. it will take a little longer to get it but its what you want. those option packages are exactly what they are packages. if you order a truck from the dealer they will sell you a certian package. but if you go there and build and price your truck they will be able to do that. its easier for the dealer to do the package deal instead of piecing everything together. but if you want an st with the 4.7 and 6 speed tell them to build you one. and if they refuse go to a diff dealer.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:51 PM
5mtDakota47
Amateur

Thanks for your replies. So if I went into my dealer and asked them to special order me a 2006 Dak ST with what I want, could they still build it?

Old 12-31-2006, 12:11 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you might not be able to get the st in a v8 but i would try. i know that the st has the 6 banger with the diff. tranny than the 4.7, but you could ask. if you need to jump up to the slt. then get the bacis one with out the bells and whistles this will save you some money. and if you special order your truck expect 6-8 weeks for delivery. but then again you would probably get a better deal on a left over 06 slt with what you are looking for. go to yahoo auto and type in the stuff you want and see what dealers are out there

Old 12-31-2006, 03:21 PM
ETXDak
Veteran

SMT they're in the 07 model year right now,but there's plenty of 06s out there call up a couple of dealers talk to some salesmen tell them what you want,color, options and what not and tell them to give you a call when they find it,when I bought mine summer of 05 they didn't have any CC V8s on the lot it took them about 20 minutes to look thru what was available in the area,found me a ST CC 4.7,,5speed auto,mineral grey with cruise it was perfect,paid about 7k below sticker you should be able to beat that easily right now,it want cost you a dime to try this I'm sure there's a 06 out there with your name on it,good luck and Happy New Year.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:10 PM
06dak
Rookie

I also would look for an '06 with a smokin' discount, unless you have a thing for 2-position tailgates...

Otherwise, the Dodge phone rep would have the best info available. Car companies change what they want to build all the time, and sometimes if there's a lot leftover from the year before (like ST V8 manuals) they'll discountinue that option. It's unfortunately not like the old days, when you could get exactly what you want...

Quick Reply: Ordering Issues...