3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4.7L 1/4 mile time, gas grades???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 02:31 PM
BADDAK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4.7L 1/4 mile time, gas grades???

ORIGINAL: DakotaStone

One foot full on the gas, and one foot on the brake and when the christmas tree goes green, let go of brake.

You have to remember that AWD also provides no slippage. I also have added mods to the engine and exhaust. I don't think it makes you slower. Like I said, it would have been faster if I hadn't slowed down thinking that I had already crossed the finishline. I'll see if I can find my race slip.
The one foot on gas/brake does make you jump out of the hole quicker! What about the "TOW/HULL" button, does that improve performance any? It delays the shifts or something.
Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:30 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

Please explain how having a gas thatexplodes at a higher temp. improves mileage I'm trulyintrigued on how that works.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:04 AM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BADDAK

One foot full on the gas, and one foot on the brake and when the christmas tree goes green, let go of brake.

You have to remember that AWD also provides no slippage. I also have added mods to the engine and exhaust. I don't think it makes you slower. Like I said, it would have been faster if I hadn't slowed down thinking that I had already crossed the finishline. I'll see if I can find my race slip.
The one foot on gas/brake does make you jump out of the hole quicker! What about the "TOW/HULL" button, does that improve performance any? It delays the shifts or something.
Thanks for all your help!
I didn't try it at the time with the TOW/HALL button. I am going to try it the next time I race it at the track. I do drive with it on daily. I've noticed that there's a bit of difference in performance.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Dusty
Professional

still waiting for the low 14 sec timeslip from the n/a dakota....

Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 AM
DakotaStone
Champion

Wait until I get some stuff done on my truck. I'd love to be able to run a 14 on the 1/4 mile. I'm probably going to install a newer TB, some Iridium plugs, different intake system, 160-180 thermostat, a different chip (maybe a Stage II JetChip) and eventually new cams that I've been eyeing at KRC Performance, and some kind of forced air. I've been looking at the electric S/C. They're becoming pretty popular. I might... spend $300 for one. If I do what I want to do with the intake, it'll be a twin system.

This should get me down into the 13s-14s on the track. I'll probably lighten the load a little too for the next time I race.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:43 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what, one foot on the brake and one on the gas, no way. if you really wanna launch at the track try this. when you get up to the line and stage . set the parking brake and hold the gas. when the light turns green pop the handle and hold on. when you power brake you are taking vaccum away from the motor by standing on the brake setting the parking brake all the vaccum is still in the motor waiting to exhale .

Old 01-25-2007, 02:04 PM
DakotaStone
Champion

I'll have to try that. It's reach for the release, but I guess that would make sense.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Dusty
Professional

Wait until I get some stuff done on my truck. I'd love to be able to run a 14 on the 1/4 mile. I'm probably going to install a newer TB, some Iridium plugs, different intake system, 160-180 thermostat, a different chip (maybe a Stage II JetChip) and eventually new cams that I've been eyeing at KRC Performance, and some kind of forced air. I've been looking at the electric S/C. They're becoming pretty popular. I might... spend $300 for one. If I do what I want to do with the intake, it'll be a twin system.

This should get me down into the 13s-14s on the track. I'll probably lighten the load a little too for the next time I race.
Oops, didn't mean what I said towards you, I was aiming that at the guy who claims to have already run a 14.2. After thinkin' long and hard about that and with his mods (and yet not timeslips to back that up) I'm going to have to raise the flag on that. These ~4800-4900 lb trucks are too underpowered to spit off a 14.2 with some bolt ons.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 2coff

Please explain how having a gas thatexplodes at a higher temp. improves mileage I'm trulyintrigued on how that works.
The gas itself is not exploding at a higher temp, per say. The use of high octane gas is for engines that are running a higher compression. The octane rating of a particular gas indicates how much pressure it can take before it spontaneously combusts. The only reason you would want to use a higher octane gas is if you are running an engine that is reaching higher levels of compression, which would need a gas that would be able to withstand a higher pressure without combusting. When the gas combusts prior to the spark, it is produces a knock or a ping. Not only can knocking or pingingseverely damage your engine, but it also causes your truck to hesitate because it is not firing at the right time. I don't know what the stock compression is on your motors, but I highly doubt it is high enough to call for premium gas. When you run a high octane gas in an engine which doesn't need it, you are in fact not thoroughly burning the gas. Your on board computer will actually retard your timing automatically to compensate for the high octane, which certainly will not be helping your hp numbers. Not only will this lead to premature build-up of carbon, but you will also see zero performance gain. You need to run the gas that the manufacturer recommends. If your motor ran better and more powerful on high octane gas, they would have told you to run that in the first place in your owners manual. Now let's say you drop in some high compression pistons. Then you would want to start using gas with a higher octane.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

Exactly right.

That's why I wanted someone to explain how they saw gains and why they would, it makes no sense to how octane works. And if you could get 1 to 2 MPG then Dodge would recommend using it because of the selling point of better milage.

Quick Reply: 4.7L 1/4 mile time, gas grades???