3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4.7L 1/4 mile time, gas grades???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4.7L 1/4 mile time, gas grades???

ORIGINAL: 2coff

Exactly right.

That's why I wanted someone to explain how they saw gains and why they would, it makes no sense to how octane works. And if you could get 1 to 2 MPG then Dodge would recommend using it because of the selling point of better milage.
It is all in their imigination. Let's just go ahead and say physics and chemistry don't matter for a second and you gained 3 hp to the flywheel from running a higher octane gas in your Dakota. You wouldn't feel it anyway. You are talking about maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hp gain. There isn't a racer in the world that will notice that gain while driving a 2+ ton truck.

Like I just said earlier, you would actually be losing hp though if you are running a higher octane in your engine than the manufacturer recommends. Not to mention you are giving more wasted money to oil barons in the middle east.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: BADDAK

inorder to get my rated 230Hp 290ft tourqe do what type of gas do I need to run? 87? higher?
Run the gas they were running when they did the dyno... which is the gas they recommend in your owners manual.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I have a JetChip Stage 1 in my truck, I get better gains in my truck with higher octane. This is from JetChip.com

JET Performance Dodge Module

The JET Performance Module for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep vehicles is a JET exclusive. Dynamic Spectrum Tuning provides power gains across the entire power band-not just at full throttle. Point by point air/fuel ratio, ignition advance and various other tuning points provide performance gains of up to 25 horsepower. Improves throttle response, acceleration and low end torque. Simple, plug-in installation in less than 30 minutes. Available in Stage 1 and Stage 2.

*For 1989-Current Dodge cars, trucks and SUV's.

Stage 1-For stock or mildly modified vehicles. Fuel and timing curves are modified for optimal performance and mileage using less expensive, lower octane fuels. Programming is designed to burn fuel at peak efficiency, which results in improved performance and mileage. Daily drivers can use lower cost regular fuel for potential mileage gains, but for optimal performance gains use of mid-grade or better is recommended.

Stage 2-Designed for the performance enthusiast, the Stage 2 features more aggressive programming to make the most horsepower and torque available. Fuel and timing curves are extensively modified for peak performance and drivability. Requires use of 91 octane fuel, 180 degree thermostat and free flow exhaust. Also works well with aftermarket intake systems, mass air sensors, TBI spacers, etc.

This is why I will burn 89 most of the time or sometimes I'll burn 92. If I buy 92, it'll be from Costco since it's almost cheaper than 89 and sometimes 87. I'll probably buy Stage II later this year after I buy my TB and a 180 thermostat.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: bkjtimp

On my HO, a while back I noted that I was using 87 b/c I didn't feel any diff. from 93 (91 is reccommended for the HO).....But I've changed my mind over the last several months....I am only using 92/93 now and there is a difference--I went back to 87 a few weeks ago and I couldn't wait for that tank to end so I could replace it with the 93!!!
Run 91 octane, you will thank yourself for it.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DakotaStone
Stage 1-For stock or mildly modified vehicles. Fuel and timing curves are modified for optimal performance and mileage using less expensive, lower octane fuels. Programming is designed to burn fuel at peak efficiency, which results in improved performance and mileage. Daily drivers can use lower cost regular fuel for potential mileage gains, but for optimal performance gains use of mid-grade or better is recommended.
Am I the only seeing a complete contradiction here?

Fuel and timing curves are modified for optimal performance and mileage using less expensive, lower octane fuels.

optimal performance gains use of mid-grade or better is recommended.

I understand that in the first line they are saying thata 'sweet spot' is being used between performance and effeciency, however, there is no way in hell they can say, with a straight face, that you are going to be seeing gains off of a chip that is designed for low octane gas when you use high octane. I also love the fact that people pay so much money for these chips when all they are doing is forcing invalid IAT numbers to alter timing and fuel. You can go down to Radio Shack and buy a resistor for $1.00 and do the same thing. Different resistors will give you a different invalidforced IAT readings. Piggyback systems like these are never a good idea when you can get a programmable module that can do many other things such as make adjustments inside your trucks ECU, adjust fuel/timing andclear codes.

Sorry for the rant.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:52 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my truck Dyno'd, they said my fuel/air mix was perfect.

If we could get a program module for our trucks, most of us would. HyperTech and SuperChips aren't doing one yet. Jet has a module out, but not for the Dakotas. Right now, everyone is focusing in on the diesle engines. Big companies are coming out with more and more stuff for diesle. You can to Ebay, and all you see is piggyback chips and what not. Believe me when I tell you, I'd rather get the programmable modules. I want more power!!

Quick Reply: 4.7L 1/4 mile time, gas grades???