3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

wheres the power

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheres the power

the 05 shifting thread got me to decide to post this up. i have the regular 4.7 in my 06. i cant remember what gear it does it in, ill figure out next time i drive. but in one of my gears, want to say around 40 mph. after it switches into the gear as im speeding up, it seems that there is very little to no power and i have togive it some good gas to maintain gaining speed. is there a real big lump in the power curve on these engines or is it just me?

Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 PM
time2go
Default RE: wheres the power

My 05 HO has no power in OD. Could be the way it's geared and one of the issues with my problems. I've heard that one of the reasons Dodge dropped the 4 speed auto on 2nd gen was too many torn up trannys so they went to the 5 speed. The official story was to improve gas mileage butI got better mileage with the 4 speed.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM
05bluedak
Rookie

i know what u mean with the power loss. in my 05 dakota i notice all the time that theres certain holes in the mid gears where ur either giving half or full throttle with no in between. i think its just some of the limits that dodge has on there cars and trucks to restrict someone from getting on it too much.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:01 PM
dakoduh
Rookie

Mine seems to maintain speed ok at lower speeds but if you want it to accelerate like you'd expect it to you pretty much gotta give it full throttle to make it downshift. Most of the time I don't mind the auto tranny but when it does annoying things (see the other thread) I'm mad because I wanted the 6 speed stick when I got the truck which is supposed to be the standard tranny. The dealer did a 400 mile raduis dealer search & there weren't any! And the ho only comes with the auto too anyway. Sorry 1 more little gripe I had to vent

Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

well, when i stomp on it, it goes, i mean it really accelerates good, but like i said, it seems that there is just a lump in the power curve

Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Glk21C
Professional

the problem I can't stand is how long it takes to downshift when you put the pedal to the floor, for example cruising at highway speeds. Turning off the lock-up torque convertor by pressing the tow/haul button first helps, but it is still horrible

Old 01-12-2007, 02:06 AM
lownslowneon
Professional

Mine jumps up pretty fast at almost any speed .... maybe its the jet chip

Old 01-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine jumps well, as well, maybe it's the manual transmission! :-P

Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

its only in this one gear where its got this lump, i didnt drive today, but tomorrow when i go home ill be able to figure it out. other than that, it goes pretty good

Old 01-12-2007, 04:08 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wow i mash the gas all the time in my 05 dak and the *** end breaks loose. i have power in all gear ranges. no problem passing wether its on back roads or the highwayand no dead spots. but then again everyone on this site know i have cams and pcm flashing

Quick Reply: wheres the power