3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

compass thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
ezegoin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: compass thing

I've looked into this a little more and decided that for me adding the overhead console would be too much of a headache and cost more $$ than I wanted to spend. E-bay was a dead end for finding the overhead console, nothing after the 2004 model year. I didn't get a chance to hit the salvage yards to see what the pricing would be. I got a price quote from the dealership for all of the componants to put the console together and it came out to $437.65 before tax. Here is the price breakdown and part numbers for those still interested.

Housing - $121 PN: 1BZ08BD1AA
Compass Module - $237 PN: 56044864AB
Wiring Harness - $24.70 PN: 4760644
Lamps - $54.95 PN: 5JG631D1AA

I did find an alternative for those of you who are looking for just the compass / temp readings. My wife's GMC Envoy came with the Gentex K21 auto-dimming rear view mirror w/ compass and temp. Having that while driving the family around in her Envoy is what got me on this kick. The auto-dimming feature is nice, it give the headlights a greenish hue and doesn't blind you. I just ordered one from autoanything along with the 3" to 6" wire cover for $189.90 (w/ coupon). Use this coupon code (AFF060421) for $20 off purchases of $199 or more.

http://www.autoanything.com/mirrors/60A2074A0A0.aspx

There is a Homelink version of the auto-dimming mirror that I saw off of the Gentex home page. It doesn't appear to come w/ the compass or temp featrures. I didn't do more research on it since it wasn't a "gotta have" for me.

Hope this helps some of you.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 PM
ezegoin

Well, got the mirror installed on Saturday. The compass and temp work perfectly. I hooked the temp sensor on the same bracket that holds the stock temp sensor, tapped into the cigarette lighter for power. The auto dimming feature is very sweet. Total cost was $189.90 from autoanything. Here is a pic of the finished product. Direction and temp are on the top right side of the mirrror. If anyone goes this route, make sure you also get the cable cover that goes from the mirror to the headliner. It gives it a nice clean look.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:10 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Yeah that's a sweet feature/option (the auto dimming mirrror)

I already have the "overhead convenience" thing.....but I was thinking about adding the auto-dimming mirror after I bought the truck (and bought one used off ebay), but didn't feel like doing the work to hook it up....in addition to the fact that I didn't know how to...lol

Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
ezegoin

If you ever decide to install it here's what you need to do. With just have an auto dimming mirror you should have only 2 wires, power & ground. The install "should" be a snap. Remove old mirror and replace with the auto dimming one. Take off the driver's side A-pillar and the bottom door sill piece. Loosen up the screws for your sun visor and pop the retaining piece for where the sun visor locks into place when not in use. You'll have enough space to put your wire in the headliner. Route the wire down the driver's side A-pillar (I used electrical tape to hold it in place while running the wire). Drop the wire down between the two dash trim pieces next to the bottom of the A-pillar. From under the dash, pull your two wires. Run the ground wire straight down to the bottom bolt (should be right next to the carpet and a wire bundle). Route the power over to the center console and tap into the cigarett lighter for power. They provided these clips that you crimped a connecter on your hot wire and just plugged into the wiring harness for the mirror. Plug the wiring harness (should be 7-pin adapter) into the mirror. Finish everything off by zip tying the wires so they're out of the way. Quick and easy.

If you didn't get one of these with the mirror you bought on ebay I would look into getting it. Without it, the wires look like a$$ coming down from the headliner. I went with the 3"-6" one (bottom one pictured).

Old 02-08-2007, 09:55 AM
ezegoin

The instructions recommended the cigarette lighter so I'm guessing that it doesn't draw much. I would've preferred to tie in somewhere near where I grounded the mirror. The main thing is to tie into a circuit that is hot only when the key is in the accessory or run position. Otherwise the potential for draining your battery is there, especially with how cold it has been lately.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:04 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

ORIGINAL: ezegoin

The instructions recommended the cigarette lighter so I'm guessing that it doesn't draw much. I would've preferred to tie in somewhere near where I grounded the mirror. The main thing is to tie into a circuit that is hot only when the key is in the accessory or run position. Otherwise the potential for draining your battery is there, especially with how cold it has been lately.
Hmmmm....didn't know that it was that easy, actually!

I already have my radar detector plugged into my cigarette lighter though...no big deal though.
I'm not gonna swap the mirror out, but still......I had no idea that it was that easy

Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 PM
ezegoin

The biggest pain for me was getting the temp sensor wires from the engine bay into the cab. I ended up taking the most difficult route. I realized my error too late and had done too much to try another way. Live and learn. Wiring up the inside for power was the easy part. It would probably take 1/2 an hour at most to get everything done and buttoned back up.

Quick Reply: compass thing