3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cat back exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:01 PM
ScottD
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat back exhaust options

I recently purchased an 06 Dakota SLT quad cab 4.7 V8 with the 6 speed transmission.

Are the primary cat-back exhaust options the Gibson, Magnaflow and the Flowmaster? I drive this truck as my daily driver and want more performance, a better tone, but no droning or loud interior noise.

I've read two threads on here, one praising the Gibson andanother saying the Magnaflow is too loud. I'm looking for feedback on these options or other options out there. Again, I want something that flows better but isn't too loud. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:51 PM
dakoduh
Rookie
Default RE: Cat back exhaust options

I have gibson 3" & recommend it. It sounds good but it's not loud inside

Old 01-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Flowmaster has many different series of their exhaust systems. The 40 series will probably be too loud for your application, however, the 50 series might be exactly what you are looking for. You can go to any legitimate muffler shop and have them put together a nice cat back for you. It will probably cost you less than buying the complete system and it will allow you to get the exact performance and tone you are looking for. Look around for specs on different tubing diameters and performance gains. When you find the system that has provided the best, dyno-backed, gains, take that info with you and they can make one for you in a short amount of time and costing you less money.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Jaybird
Rookie

I agree, buy the muffler yourself and then have a local shop do the pipe work and install for you. this will save you cash. As for the muffler, Flowmaster has audio clips of each muffler on their website. Also check out Flowmaster 40series 1 in 2 out $82.80 http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...5FLW305.2.html

Old 01-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Kerrbear219
Professional

I think the Flowmaster40 would be too loud for what you are looking for. I have the Flowmaster 50 with 3 inch tips and it's just right. I can still hear my kids in the car but I can hear the truck too!!
Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM
luvmydak
Veteran

I had my Flowmaster SUV50 (1 in,2out) done by Meineke 1 1/2 years ago on my '05, nice mellow rumble. Interior resonance not a problem. You can carry on a conversation in normal tone. No complaints from neighbors. All joints welded. As mentioned in this thread, the 40 series would be definitely too loud for you. Meineke did a great job but in any case go to a shop you trust.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:34 PM
05bluedak
Rookie

i have the flowmaster super 40 on mine, and if you don't want something with a deep and loud ruble to it. i suggest the 50 series. still has a good sound but less interior resonance.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Just make sure you see dyno readings from the different manufacturers. Find the one with the sound rating you are looking for, with the highest gains. Then model your exhaust from there. They will explain what muffler and tubing routing/diameter is used, then take those specs to a muffler shop and have them fab one up for you.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:57 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

I'm going with the Flowmaster cat-back for my truck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flowm...spagenameZWD1V

I had the same style system (Force II system with a 50 series SUV muffler)on my '04 Dakota (4.7) and it sounded awesome and had no interior resonance or anything, but a nice rumble still. DEFINITELY won't be disappointed with the sound!

And for only $220 SHIPPED......you just bolt it on yourself. I'm going to get it, but I'm gonna wait until this winter B.S. is over to put it on

Quick Reply: Cat back exhaust options