3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Building my own intake, putting together a DIY.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 AM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Building my own intake, maybe.

No, I was thinking of something a lot more permanent. Continously cooler oxygen going in. Like a heat sink, fan, aluminum, etc. Close though.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:50 AM
bkjtimp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say you have too much time on your hands for all this thought. Really....Buy a K&N 63 series and run some hosing to behind the grille and attach the other end to the bottom of the airbox--where it gets the air from the fender liner....Some air ram like, and bim bam, you're done. No thermal resistance testing, no nada.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:12 AM
DakotaStone
Champion

I have a lot of time on my hands because I am currently on leave. This would almost be like an intercooler. I talked to a friend of mine who is a mechanic, and he said that would probably work pretty good. Like I said, it would probably bring in an extra 5hp... probably. Can't go by theory, so I'll have to go by testing and cold hard facts.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever checked the difference in temp. drops from outside air and when right before it goes into the throttle body???

That would save ALL of your time right there.

Lets say it's 60 degrees out and the air going into the TB is only 65 (probably not the case though)....then a cold air intake won't do (too) much...u know??? Or even the cooling system that DakotaStone was thinking about.

I'd just check the incoming air temps. on a stock intake system first and then proceed from there

Old 02-12-2007, 11:11 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ericemery writes that:

>our stock intake tube is very restrictive. the idea behind a true cold air intake is to be as smooth as possible

You are starting off on the wrong foot thinking that way.

Something is 'restrictive' if it has a pressure drop in the air from its inlet to its outlet.

If you think you can just look at something
(and your name is not Paul McCready or Burt Rutan)
and tell whether something is
'Aerodynamic'
or not
you are making a 'Newby' mistake.

The flow of air and water is full of constant surprises.

Sharkskin roughness, bubblebee flight, vortex generators on the front of whale fins, dimples on golf *****, Kamback automobile shapes....the list surprises goes on and on

That 'restrictive' air inlet tube with the accordian pleats
may flow air better than a similar length smooth pipe.

Measure!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 PM
DakotaStone
Champion

From what I've read, seen and heard, smooth is much better and our stock tubes suck. The restriction is from all of the "anti-noise" crap they put into the stock. When I bought my CAI and got rid of the stock crap, the noise level went up, and so did the response... More noise than response...

I know this hardly qualifies me as a "pro" in upgrading vehicles, but I watch Trucks! and Horsepower. Both of them say the samething about the stock box and intake. I talked to a speed shop when I first bought the truck and they said that the stock crap keeps the noise level down and restricts the airflow. The last place I talked to last month said that aluminum is better than plastic because of the heat displacement.

Seems to me that there are a lot of different theories and opinions. I guess it's just best that I stick to what I know and have learned.

BTW, I love the noise coming from the engine compartment, to include the sucking sound when it idles.

Quick Reply: Building my own intake, putting together a DIY.