3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

$#@&%$ Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:04 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: $#@&%$ Power Steering

Just remember if you hold the streering wheel at the lock then it overpressures the lines and they will wear out.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Gerrard155

Ya, I had it towed via roadside assistance from dodge. I got it back this afternoon too. one of the hoses did break(I live in alaska and I think it might have been temperature stress). However, it was a giant pain to get it done. When I first had it towed in, they told me that it would be 2-3 days to look at it and maybe as late as march 21st before they fixed it. Needless to say, I was not thrilled. However, I tried to be reasonable and accepted it as long as they would provide a rental. However, they said they wouldn't as I had not purchased the extended service plan. At this point I had reached the end of my rope. I started screaming at the manager of the sales department and then the general manager. Something along the lines of "this is a brand f****** new truck and the f****** steering should not be breaking and I want some......(more expletives and demands). They then decided that maybe I should be a bit of a priority. They looked at the truck, and "hey, its a broken hose!". Took them 20-30min to fix it. Ridiculous that they orignally said it might be a month. Anyway, got my truck back, and thats the important thing.

P.S.-DO NOT ever purchase a vehicle from or support in any way Genes Chrysler in Fairbanks. Easily the worst dealership I have ever known.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:09 AM
SEANBZ206

yeah you know i dont thing the problems people have are genuinly from chrysler but the dealerships they get them repaired at. My dealership here in seattle actualy does alot of deals with people from alaska they will even help set up the shipping if needed. and they are greato their customers, when you buy a car with under 70,000 miles on it you get 3yr/36000mile oil changes. and with any car you get a loaner for the time you own the car.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Gerrard155

Ya, I had it towed via roadside assistance from dodge. I got it back this afternoon too. one of the hoses did break(I live in alaska and I think it might have been temperature stress). However, it was a giant pain to get it done. When I first had it towed in, they told me that it would be 2-3 days to look at it and maybe as late as march 21st before they fixed it. Needless to say, I was not thrilled. However, I tried to be reasonable and accepted it as long as they would provide a rental. However, they said they wouldn't as I had not purchased the extended service plan. At this point I had reached the end of my rope. I started screaming at the manager of the sales department and then the general manager. Something along the lines of "this is a brand f****** new truck and the f****** steering should not be breaking and I want some......(more expletives and demands). They then decided that maybe I should be a bit of a priority. They looked at the truck, and "hey, its a broken hose!". Took them 20-30min to fix it. Ridiculous that they orignally said it might be a month. Anyway, got my truck back, and thats the important thing.

P.S.-DO NOT ever purchase a vehicle from or support in any way Genes Chrysler in Fairbanks. Easily the worst dealership I have ever known.
Old saying "the sqeeky wheel gets the grease"

Old 02-28-2007, 04:22 PM
kaseynicole

ORIGINAL: Gerrard155

Wow, I am sorry that that happened to you but I have to kind of disagree with you on this one. I bought my truck from Gene's (as well as the two vehiclesbefore it) and really have never had a problem with them. They gave me a great deal on my truck and have always given me good service. The thing that should be understood is that they have people who make appointments to have stuff taken care of and they are first priority. If you just bring in a vechicle without an appointment, it has to be "worked in" around those that have appointments and were there first. I had a power steering hose go out on my truck at the beginning of January. Took it in on a Wednesday after 5 and got it back on Friday before noon, no yelling or cursing involved.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Gerrard155

Kasey, I realize that I am not the only person in the world who has car problems and other people were there before me. But, I also work and cannot afford to be without a vehicle for almost a month(as they originally said it might be that long). Its a simple matter of business ethics, and Genes has some of the worst I have seen. If they look at it quickly and have it fixed OR say hey, we are quite busy and arrange for a rental I would have gone and told the people I know about how well things went. However, they attempted to screw me and I would have none of it. Now they are going to get about as much negative publicity as I can spread. Any business lives or dies by its image and I would think that Gene's would at least try to create a positive one. And I want everyone else out there to know that I am not the only person that has problems with Genes. I know 3 other guys that own chysler products(2 jeeps and a Ram) that all have had bad experiences with Genes. However, they are fortunate enough(if you could say that) to be in a position to take thier vehicles elsewhere for repairs rather than relying on the warranty. Probably why you see so many more Tacomas driving around up here than Dakotas. The Toyota dealership has a great reputation and takes excellent care of their customers. Its sad the Dodge dealership can't do the same.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:59 PM
kaseynicole

I guess it's all about who you talk to then. My family is made up of Dodge/Jeep owners. Between the four of us we have owned at least 11 Dodge or Jeep vehicles. Most of them being purchased at Genes. I also know of people who have had bad experiences there but I can name more people who have had bad experiences at Auto Service. Just like I had an extremely bad time with Unlmited Car Audio getting an auto start installed (had to take it back 6 times, and threaten to take it somewhere else, before it finally started working right), I know plenty of people that have had good experiences with them. It's all relative I guess.

Quick Reply: $#@&%$ Power Steering