3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

any hid experts ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 AM
JrDejaVux
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any hid experts ?

Hello guys my brother gave me a brand new HID kit it comes with the 2 ballasts 2 bulbs and a relay with and harness the only problem i have is i have no manual and i cant seem to find one at the manufacturer web page any ideas what the relay is for ? is it for high and low beams ? thanks George

Old 03-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: any hid experts ?

More than likely you won't be runninghigh and low beams... unless you got a dual bulb HID bulb... but those are obnoxiously expensive, and hideous looking..

Old 03-23-2007, 12:06 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Hideous looking? There is no noticable difference once they are installed. Even if you look right in the light you can barely tell there are 2 bulbs. That's what I have in mine. And the light output is exactly the same.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:27 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

My HID kit is made by Xenon Vision, it's not a dual beam. You don't really need a manual to install them, but you will need to mount the ballasts on the frame behind the headlight fixture. Basically you will want to tap into the headlights circuit to use your lights. There are 3 wires going to the headlights: Low Beam Positive, high beam positive, and ground. If your HID kit is dual beam, you will have 2 "+" wires coming from it, yaddayadda. What I did to properly install mine was I cut off the original headlight socket, just took it right off, and spliced the wires together inside of heatshrink tubing. Not thinking that you don't have a heatgun or keep stocks of heatshrink tubing around your house, you might want to go to a Home Depot or Lowes and invest in some liquid electrical tape. Here are some instructions since you have a 3rd gen dakota:

1: Turn on your headlights before you cut off the socket and find out which Positive wire is your low beam wire. This can be done with a multimeter or a voltage detector. You take out the headlight bulb and stick the multimeter or voltage detector needle in the socket of one of the "WHITE" wires, the black one is your ground. After checking this, TURN OFF YOUR LIGHTS and DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.
2. Once you find out which one is your low beam, you will want to splice the Positive (most likely the red wire) from the HID kit harness onto the low beam wire. If your HID kit is dual beam, make sure you get the low beam wire from the harness onto it. Use heatshrink tubing or electrical tape to seal the connection. TIP: solder the 2 wires together to keep a firm connection.
3. If your HID kit has dual beam abilities, connect the high beam wire to the other white wire coming from the truck. I'm thinking, if your kit is dual beam, it will have 2 bright colored wires coming out, and one black wire. The 2 bright colors are your positive wires and the black is your ground.
4. Once you have those hooked up, reconnect your battery and turn on your headlights, see if they come on. If they do, then repeat all those steps for the other side.
5. Mounting the ballasts onto the frame behind the headlight fixture. I used thi insane 3M mounting tape, it is a grey colored tape with a red backing on it, great to mount that kind of stuff with, just mount it to the frame. Put back the fixture and be sure to angle your headlights a little bit lower than they were before. If you don't, you'll blind drivers and might get pulled over for having them angled too high.

OK now that my caffeine rush has allowed me to type this tutorial up for you, since I don't have anything really scheduled tomorrow for work maybe I can take some time and get a couple of pictures of how I have my HIDs setup on my truck I'll post pics for better understanding of how I installed mine. HOPE this helped!

OH I forgot to ask, is there a possibility that you can upload a pick of the wiring harness that goes from the ballast to the truck? not the bulb, but to the truck.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I meant hideous looking as a joke.. I just think the bulb itself looks kind of awkward...

Not the light output in case that's what you thought.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:33 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

Yeah I'd have to say the dual beam HID bulbs usually look mickey mouse to me, kind of like the high beam bulb was just slapped onto the socket...dunno though, they might be good for all I know, RT5point9 up there likes his so we'll take his word for it. I personally like having 6 150w off road lights as my high beams, aint nobody gonna miss me when I flash em! haha

Quick Reply: any hid experts ?