3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

My Trailmaster 2" kit problems fixed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:28 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Trailmaster 2" kit problems fixed!!!

ORIGINAL: rookie

I heard somewhere that the truxx kit was recommended for 2x trucks. something about more stress on the front CVs.Seems that the TM kit does the same thing, though. Anybody?
The trailmaster kit gets the 2" by preloading the springs, the truxx kit is a spacer between the shock and the mount and they don't recommend it if you do off roading, more stress on the axle or something. I plan to get the trailmaster kit soon as I have a bit extra cash.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Casper50
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the trailmaster kit doesn't change how far the shock travels because it preloads the springs keeping the same angles on the axle at full flex. The truxx kit drops the entire strut 2 incheswhich increasesthe angle of the axle when at full flex and it puts too much stress on it.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:33 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

in order for your truck to be higher, the axle has to flex more, unless you drop the entire front end. with both the tm lift and the truxx lift, the spacer, where ever it is placed, forces the axle down at a sharper anlge. that is the only way the truck is going to acheive any lift. The lower a arms are pushed further from the truck. Either one is going to stress your driveline.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Casper50
Veteran

I agree that your axles are going to be at more of an angle with either kit but with the truxx kit you basically add 2 inches of shock travel which you don't add any with the trailmaster kit. That's why they don't suggest the truxx kit for off-roading, the extra 2 inches of travel will angle the axle too much when you are in a "flexed" position.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:10 PM
rookie
Captain

thank you for clarifying that. i think. does this mean that if the front end was off the ground (unloaded), the truxx kit would push the axles down further than the tm kit?

Old 04-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Casper50
Veteran

Exactly! The truxx kit angles the axles more when the suspension is unloaded and in 4wd with it unloaded (flexed)like that, it puts too much torque on the axles for that angle and hasa tendency to ruin the joints. The trailmaster kit leaves the suspension like stock when it is unloaded.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:22 PM
rookie
Captain

so not only is it cheaper, it is better. just slightly more difficult to install. Took me two hours just to read the directions (Im from west virginia)

Old 04-04-2007, 02:33 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

lol...

Old 04-04-2007, 02:37 PM
rookie
Captain

v it's gonna get on my truck, one way or another. Along w blocks in the back and meats all around

Old 04-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Casper50
Veteran

ORIGINAL: rookie

so not only is it cheaper, it is better. just slightly more difficult to install. Took me two hours just to read the directions (Im from west virginia)
lol at the WV comment!

It's better for 4WD applications but doesn't really matter on RWD. The only thing extra that you have to do with these is take the top of the strut assembly off. Everything else is the same as far as labor is concerned. It probably takes and extra 10 minutes to do it.

Quick Reply: My Trailmaster 2" kit problems fixed!!!