3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 AM
gabarit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello MJW,

i would be frustrated with all these issues in a new D !

I've also complained to my dealer when I first got the car about a shuddering noise coming from the engine driver side. Sounded like something is not well tightened and just resonates when the conditions are right. The dealer knew about the problem and had it fixed. It has to do with some alignment in the hood. Since then the noise disappeared.

i just did a long trip from Riyadh (Saudi Arabia) to Dubai and back with my D. and it was fine. I was driving at 100-110 mph most of the time in 100-100 degrees (F) and it was an excellent ride.

rgds,

G.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 AM
MJW

Hi gabarit -

Thanks for replying to my post.

The shuddering is actually a sensation rather than sound. Some are describing it as "fishbite" on the Jeep forum. It happens in 5th gear while lightly accelerating - it is like the vehicle is stuttering. It is most noticeable when going up a slight incline at around 50 mph or so. There was a TSB for a similar issue for the 2011 Grand Cherokee but the Jeep folks don't see one for the 2012 Jeeps. And of course there is nothing to fix the issue on the Durangos.

With my last SUV, a Ford Explorer, the service department always tried to make me happy with my purchase, even if there were no diagnostics or TSBs. With Dodge they just want me to go away.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 AM
bster
Rookie

I couldn't agree more with MJW. I read his post and I swear that we are driving the same vehicle. I agree that some D's have the clicking noise and some don't. What is the reason, which part(s) are different? I think it is time to start tearing transmissions apart and look at the internal differences between the ones that "click" and those that don't. I can"t believe, that for the money I paid for this vehicle, such a problem even exists.
I had a 2011 Charger as a loaner last week and it didnt make this noise, why does a vehicle that was probably twice the price?
The noise has reallly overtaken me as that is all I hear when I drive it now, I just watch the speedometer when I slow down -10 MPH-click.
I don't believe that my dealer will ever get the Ok to pull my tranny and investigate and this problem will exist in this vehicle for ever.
I am taking it back in on Friday for the service manager to listen to, again.
Not sure how many times this has to happen, they always seem very concerned but in the end, their hands are tied and they can only do what Dodge gives them the Ok to do. He says that he hasn't had a complaint from anyone else about this and those tranny's are bullet proof, but I had to remind him that 1 year ago, standing in the same spot, he told me that they all do it, so quit blowing smoke up my butt.
Sadly, 90% of people that own Durango's will not ever realize that this noise is present or care that it does. They just get in and drive. Even if you drive with your windows up all of the time, you won't hear it.
We are getting closer to winter so my windows will predominately be up for the next few months and I will maybe forget about the "click" until next spring, but I bet it will be still there.
The Dodge slogan is " Imported from Detroit" but I think my next vehicle will be imported from a bit further away.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:18 PM
bster
Rookie
Thumbs down

I guess that the "clicking noise" issue is now dead. I had my Durango at the dealer last week and the service manager and myself test drove other Durango's (2012) and every one of them had the same clicking noise as mine at exactly the same driving situations- 10 MPH. The service manager talked again to the techs at Dodge and there is no hope of a TSB or fix for this issue as they deem it as a "non-issue".
There will be no change in this as that's the way they are, and it will be something that a guy has to live with whether you like it or not.
After a year and a half of hoping someday this would be solved, it is now over.
I am sure that it will develop another annoying noise soon that will take my mind off this one
THANKS DODGE!!

Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 PM
MJW

I wish they could at least tell us what specific part is making the noise. I would be willing to pay for this job myself even though it is still under warranty as it is that annoying.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:02 PM
FireBrain
Amateur

I don't get this noise when launching/accelerating. I get it when driving slow then applying brakes gently. And I comes from different wheels. Sometimes I can feel it on my left foot when it comes from the front left wheel. For sure it comes from different wheels. I never hear come from the front wheels at the same time.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:57 AM
gabarit

I went to the dealership and asked about this noise a long time ago. First, they denied there is a clicking noise but then said it's normal. I've lived with it for the past two years and so far did not have any issues.

I still think it's annoying and that Dodge knows what the issue is but does not want to fix it.

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise