3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

New R/T... Unfortunate problem already

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Queens R/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
That's good info Queens R/T. Did you see any ride difference on the Yokohama's?

To be honest, I really couldn't tell that much of a difference with the ride since I continued to have the shake/vibration... However, I did notice the handling was better with the Yokohamas and there was less tire noise as well. As my case continued I went back to the stock Kumhos since the Chrysler techs/reps kept saying that the Yokohamas were causing the steering wheel shake/vibration... LOL

When I went back to the Kuhmos and the shake continued they didn't have any more excuses to give me as to why they couldn't fix or figure out what the issue is. I'm optimistic though that the TSB for the steering intermediate shaft will finally fix the problem. I'll let everyone know if it does.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM
stymiedny
Amateur

i did notice a slight shimmy when braking from hihger speeds but assumed it might be a rotor. This explains it. How can I tell my vehicles build date?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM
fincher
Professional

Sticker inside door shows build date. Another forum member here posted this info after I used a web link and entered my VIN.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Queens R/T
Unhappy

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
All,

This TSB just came out. Perhaps this will resolve the issue. If it does, please let me know.

NUMBER: 19-004-11
GROUP: Steering
DATE: August 19, 2011

SUBJECT:
Shudder And/Or Bump Felt Through The Steering Wheel Under Moderate Braking And/Or
Driving Over Rough Roads
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves road testing and if necessary replacing the intermediate shaft.
MODELS:
2011-2012 (WD) Durango
2011-2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before July 01, 2011 (MDH0701XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Shudder and/or bump felt through the steering wheel under moderate braking or driving
over rough roads. This can be caused by spline stick/slip from the intermediate shaft.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 05057539AD Shaft, Steering Column Intermediate
NOTE: The new lower intermediate shaft must have a green dot on the assembly,
near or on the label (Fig. 1). If a green dot cannot be found return and reorder
the intermediate shaft.
Update:

I had this TSB performed on my vehicle yesterday and unfortunately the problem still exists... It did not correct my steering wheel shake issue

Suffice it to say, I am extremely dissapointed and don't know where to go from here. The dealership has tried their darnest to try to figure out the issue to no avail but Chryler/Dodge has not been providing the input and support needed to fix the problem. I will continue to pursue my case with Chrysler/Dodge (3 months and counting) until a resolution to this problem happens.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Robert Calhoun
Amateur

Lemon Law for your state?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Queens R/T

Originally Posted by Robert Calhoun
Lemon Law for your state?

Chrysler/Dodge is telling me the car is not eligible for the lemon law here in NY because there has not been 4 repair attempts made. LOL That's because Chrysler/Dodge is saying that this a normal characteristic for the car. You can't make this stuff up!

I'm also waiting on a call back from a customer care rep since last Friday with still no call! The nonsense that Dodge is pulling with my vehicle has to stop already! They are going to lose a long standing customer who has purchased many cars from them over the years if they don't step up the plate already and just attempt to do something to fix my car or give me a replacement R/T that does not shake!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 AM
durango007

Originally Posted by Queens R/T
Chrysler/Dodge is telling me the car is not eligible for the lemon law here in NY because there has not been 4 repair attempts made. LOL That's because Chrysler/Dodge is saying that this a normal characteristic for the car. You can't make this stuff up!

I'm also waiting on a call back from a customer care rep since last Friday with still no call! The nonsense that Dodge is pulling with my vehicle has to stop already! They are going to lose a long standing customer who has purchased many cars from them over the years if they don't step up the plate already and just attempt to do something to fix my car or give me a replacement R/T that does not shake!
Sorry about your unfortunate mishap with the r/t. I also have a slight shake around 60-70 mph, but my r/t build date is 070811. The TSB states for vehicles before 070111.

On a scale of 1 - 10.......with 1 being slight jitter to 10 being extreme shaking, which is yours?? Keep us posted...

Old 09-14-2011, 06:38 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Can you clarify something please; is Chrysler the corporation telling you that is a normal characteristic or is the dealership making this preposterous statement?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Queens R/T

Originally Posted by coldsteel
Can you clarify something please; is Chrysler the corporation telling you that is a normal characteristic or is the dealership making this preposterous statement?
Chrysler Corporation Case Managers are telling me this.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Queens R/T

Originally Posted by durango007
Sorry about your unfortunate mishap with the r/t. I also have a slight shake around 60-70 mph, but my r/t build date is 070811. The TSB states for vehicles before 070111.

On a scale of 1 - 10.......with 1 being slight jitter to 10 being extreme shaking, which is yours?? Keep us posted...
When cruising on the highway at speeds of 45 or up, the shake and vibration is an 8 and when accelerating at highway speeds the shake becomes a 10 as it so extreme that you have to hold on to the steering wheel so tight to prevent losing control of the vehicle. As time has went on with the vehicle over the past 3 months, the shake has gotten progressively worse to point where it is now.

Quick Reply: New R/T... Unfortunate problem already