3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

New R/T... Unfortunate problem already

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM
pgwarrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Well,

Got my vehicle back. 2 out of 4 wheels needed balancing. Talked to the shop supervisor at the dealership who stated there were no RRTs (is it the same as a TSB?) for my VIN. Kinda perplexed as my vehicle was manufactured in Feb 2011.

BTW. Absolutely love the car. What a ride.

Warrior

Originally Posted by pgwarrior
All,

Just bought my new 2011 Citadel RWD with the Hemi. Noticed the wheel shake on the way back from the dealer between 60 and 70 mph. Guess I start on this merry go round. Paperwork says I have 15 days to take it back. Should I let them try to fix it?

Damn--what a nice ride tho!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:39 PM
mgrin306

I had the same problem when I picked mine up, but it wasn't all the time. I took it back and they couldn't find anything wrong. That was about 3 weeks ago, and it did it a couple more times, then it stopped and has done it again. Strange, but I figure its under warranty and if it happens again I'll take it back.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pgwarrior
Well,

Got my vehicle back. 2 out of 4 wheels needed balancing. Talked to the shop supervisor at the dealership who stated there were no RRTs (is it the same as a TSB?) for my VIN. Kinda perplexed as my vehicle was manufactured in Feb 2011.

BTW. Absolutely love the car. What a ride.

Warrior
Warrior,

RRT is a rapid response transmittal and tells the dealer that if they see the car they should perform the repair as it is a known problem even if no complaint of problem exists at this time.

TSB is a technical service bulletin and indicates to the dealer to check this out if customer complains of a particular issue as this could be it since others have complained about it as well and this is how they fixed it.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:10 AM
///AMG Hauler
Rookie

I just picked up a new AWD R/T and noticed a vibration in the steering wheel that begins about 60 mph. It is not enough to be called a shake but it is annoying none the less. Shame on me for not deviating from the test drive designated path but the truck is so tight at lower speeds it never occurred to me. I understand that this model is 20mm lower than the others which will create some negative camber but it shouldn't be enough to cause this issue. The problem has nothing to do with braking or rough roads, it seems like a rear balance issue at specific speeds. Probably a defect in the assembly process wherever the tires are originally mounted and balanced or possibly in the casting process during the wheel manufacturing.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:05 PM
BigBlueDan

Have the dealer (or Goodyear) replace the tires with a different tire type. Heard of this type of problem on a GM, high performance sedan a friend of mine bought. Consistent vibration at highway speeds. My Crew has the Goodyear Fortera's and it is rock solid on highway (also AWD, 5.7L). Best of luck in tracking it down.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM
pgwarrior

Just have the dealer re-balance all of the wheels. I had the same problem. Two out of the four wheels were out of whack. No issues since.

Good Luck

Old 11-02-2011, 02:48 PM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

Got 4000 + miles in my Citadel AWD which has the GY Fortrera been pretty solid so far since day 1 I drove it off the lot.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:24 AM
NH HemiRamFan
Rookie
Default 2011 Durango issues

I bought a 2011 Dodge Durango Crew Lux the min one came to a dealer near me in NH. I've been a Mopar guy for 15 yrs (36 yrs old) and have loved a stood by my vehicles. The Durango I purchased was being driven by the owner of the dealership and had 1200 mls when I got it. The car was great-leather and wood everywhere, power everything, huge touch screen nav/cd/mp3, just loaded. I couldn't believe how quite and smooth the ride was with Hemi power to boot. Well little over 3K miles was the first service call, burning oil rapidly and puffs of blue smoke would exit the tail pipes often. I decided to set the trip to see the oil consumption, a quart every 720 miles!!!! The service managers were rude to my wife when she had it brought in so I took a trip down myself. They told me that Dodge put out a statement that the new Hemi engine would tend to burn more oil that usual on some models. Some models????You mean the defective ones with piston ring blow by? The tranny slipped into 4 low and would not dis-engage as I followed the manual to a T. I should have hit the transfer case with a mallet, but took the high road. The vehicle was TOWED in and the problem was a faulty engagement switch. Long story short the Durango has been back to the dealer 5 times so far for different problems. Im left to assume the vehicle is a lemon or the owner broke it in by driving it like a nascar! Love the Durango, but this one will not do! I'm looking into the lemon laws in my state now. The dealership has turned anything but helpful and $45K wasn't enough for some customer service let alone #!%* service managers. I sure hope Chrysler comes through on this and makes good with a replacement, which is all Im looking for no money back. If not Im sorry to say a Tahoe will be parked next to my Ram.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NH HemiRamFan
I bought a 2011 Dodge Durango Crew Lux the min one came to a dealer near me in NH.
and your very next statement...

Originally Posted by NH HemiRamFan
The Durango I purchased was being driven by the owner of the dealership and had 1200 mls when I got it.
Outside of the first two contrary statements not adding up, I agree the dealership owner trashed it. No way is burning 1 qt of oil for 720 miles on a brand new vehicle normal or within the acceptable statement range for a known issue to keep an eye on. Keep an eye on it my *** I would have told them. They them keep their own eye on it and it sounds like they have earned it. Good luck leveraging the law to your advantage. I would say you earned it on this one.

Next time, avoid the dealer-demo (trashed) model. They know they are selling it soon and couldn't care less about taking care of it in the mean time. A sign of a really crappy dealer too BTW. I would consider purchasing another elsewhere once you are out from under this one.

As for the threat of a Tahoe next to your RAM... save it for the dealer. Within a Durango forum, we couldn't care less about statements like that. In fact you loose credibility with the ending just like you did with the introduction contradictions.

Last edited by IndyDurango; 11-03-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Phoenix RT
Rookie
Default Any progress? I have the same problem.

Has anyone made any progress on this issue? I have an 11 RT with the same shaky steering wheel once I get to about 60 mph. It has been in and out of the dealer since I have bought it. I have 4K miles now and the shake keeps getting worse no matter how many time the service department road force balances or replaces tires. It is not a tire balance issue. Help!

Quick Reply: New R/T... Unfortunate problem already