3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

New R/T... Unfortunate problem already

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Queens R/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix RT
Has anyone made any progress on this issue? I have an 11 RT with the same shaky steering wheel once I get to about 60 mph. It has been in and out of the dealer since I have bought it. I have 4K miles now and the shake keeps getting worse no matter how many time the service department road force balances or replaces tires. It is not a tire balance issue. Help!

My advice to you is to get a case with Dodge and then hopefully they will do something for you like they did for me. They acknowledged the issue and eventually made some of my car payments. I was then able to get into another car with the help of the dealership. My wife and I are now the proud owners of a 2011 Chrysler Town and Country Limited that doesn't shake We were trying to get into another Durango R/T but we test drove 3 other R/T's and they all had the shaky steering wheel It seems like it has a defective suspension part but nobody can figure out what the problem is. BTW... The wife and kids love the Town and Country.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Phoenix RT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Queens R/T
My advice to you is to get a case with Dodge and then hopefully they will do something for you like they did for me. They acknowledged the issue and eventually made some of my car payments. I was then able to get into another car with the help of the dealership. My wife and I are now the proud owners of a 2011 Chrysler Town and Country Limited that doesn't shake We were trying to get into another Durango R/T but we test drove 3 other R/T's and they all had the shaky steering wheel It seems like it has a defective suspension part but nobody can figure out what the problem is. BTW... The wife and kids love the Town and Country.

That is bad news, good that they helped a little but bad you had to get rid of the truck. When did they acknowledge the issue? Im hoping they have found out more recently what the issue is and have made some progress. Its to bad other than the shake it is an awesome truck but Im not keeping it with this shake. Its not safe and we have two little kids, I dont like her driving them in it like the truck drives.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Queens R/T

Originally Posted by Phoenix RT
That is bad news, good that they helped a little but bad you had to get rid of the truck. When did they acknowledge the issue? Im hoping they have found out more recently what the issue is and have made some progress. Its to bad other than the shake it is an awesome truck but Im not keeping it with this shake. Its not safe and we have two little kids, I dont like her driving them in it like the truck drives.

They acknowledged the issue back in October after 4 months of going back and forth with case managers. It wasn't an easy process to deal with but it was really my only resort as the shake got progressively worse and I also felt as you do, that it was a safety hazard for my wife while driving with our kids. The shake was so bad that it would shake from 40 MPH and up which made driving very difficult. The tires were replaced 4 times even trying different brands in addition to countless attempts at roadforce balancing. I would open up a case with Dodge if you haven't already done so and go that route as I believe the dealerships will not be able to fix the problem unless there is a TSB or Recall that comes out (I haven't heard of a fix for it as of yet and I still do keep looking out for it even though I no longer have the vehicle).

Hope all turns out well for you and they do find a fix for it or they get you into another car. Good luck

Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Phoenix RT
Rookie

Uhhhhgg, thanks man. Doesnt look good from here.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 PM
mustangguy289
Professional

Have they checked pinion angle?

The reason I say this I had a nissan Titan before and they had a similar problem at certain speeds. It was fixed by measureing pinion angle and then correcting the angle with shims.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Phoenix RT
Rookie

Originally Posted by mustangguy289
Have they checked pinion angle?

The reason I say this I had a nissan Titan before and they had a similar problem at certain speeds. It was fixed by measureing pinion angle and then correcting the angle with shims.

No they have not, just rebalanced three times and some new tires. I will suggest it but they are basically throwing their hands up. You know not returning calls etc... I think Im gonna have to file a complaint with chrysler even though I really dont feel like doing that.
I have read on jeep sites that guys with Grand Cherokees are having the same issue. Chrysler has to know they have a flaw they need to address by now.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad I read this. I was looking into buying an 2012 R/T but I think I will wait until these issued are worked out.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Phoenix RT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blown287
I'm glad I read this. I was looking into buying an 2012 R/T but I think I will wait until these issued are worked out.

I wish I would have read it a couple months ago too...

Old 12-29-2011, 04:25 PM
mustangguy289
Professional

Originally Posted by Blown287

You also got to remember this is an internet forum which only represents a very small amount of buyers. Also, nobody talks about the positives.. they only point out the negatives.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

Just so all of you who are looking into buying a D I have a 2012 R/T with about 1,400 miles on it and have had no shake.

Quick Reply: New R/T... Unfortunate problem already