3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Car paralyzed - in operable key FOBS - Dodge Customer Service THE WORST!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 AM
JRRF
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango

So you are willingly going to take a loss trying to sell a used vehicle, with a break down history clearly posted on the world wide internet for everyone to see, at a likely loss of thousands of dollars, and you are still biatching about $100. Really?
+1, Selling your car now would really be a bonehead move.

And since you seem so concerned with giving a few hundred bucks to Sirius a few months early, I guess this all makes sense. If you are so bent on the .01% interest that you'll get in the bank, I guess the $100 you spent on your keys broke the bank.

I've never owned a Dodge before either. And I live in an area where you're a lowlife if you don't drive a Bmer, MB, Porsche, etc. But I can't tell you how happy I am every day when I drive this car -- and I test drove comparable Acuras, MBs, and others. It's a good car, but not perfect -- no car is. Heck, I had a 60K Volvo that died the first week and left me stranded on a deserted highway (and I wound up paying for the tow on that one because I didn't want to wait for their tow truck). That didn't make it a bad car -- it was otherwise rock solid. These are complex machines, and things can go wrong. I will acknowledge that you have a right to be treated right by Dodge and the dealer. But you don't have a right to whine and jump up and down like my 3 year old.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM
beburrows

Guys,

This has NOTHING to do with the $100. This has 100% to do with Chrysler stepping and doing the right thing! Didn't Chrysler just get a multi-billion dollar bailout from US? Yes, the taxpayers? That said, not only do they have a FISCAL responsibility to get things right, they have a MORAL responisibility to get things right!

I may not have mentioned earlier, I grew up in Detroit. I was BORN into the auto industry. Therefore, I've seen the "ups and downs" personally of what the personal greed has done to Detroit, as well as the whole auto industry in general. If you are not from Detroit you may not fully understand.

That said, Chrysler left me, along with 5 of my guests on a vacation STRANDED on vacation. Again, the dealer was GREAT!! Chrysler Corporation....after NUMEROUS CALLS AND OPPORTUNIIES....FAILED THE TEST!!

Again, the $100 was a test with regards to seeing if they would DO THE RIGHT THING! I'm not "whining", as you say, about the $100. I could care a less about the money. It's about them having the opportunity to "save face".

Buying a new vehicle, especially from a company that took a loan...from us!..... is more than just the $45k I spent. It's about building a relationship that should be about building trust so I will own the brand over my lifetime. RIGHT? That's how they should be operating...from the bottum up! That starts with service that goes above and beyond other auto companies. They should be striving TO BE THE BEST! Well, we definitely did NOT start on the right foot. I would hope you would agree?

With regards to selling the Durango, if they can't get it right, won't think twice about trading it in. Again, I look at vehicles as a relationship.....you spend a lot over years in service $$ etc..etc.. It's a depreciating asset that to me is about enjoying the brand, not about a $5k loss to trade. I want to be happy!

Lastly, with regards to Sirius satellite, to get a letter from them asking for $500 to extend the free one year subscription.....after owning a new vehicle for one week.....basically a bill in the mail.... looks like a desperate measure to get $$. It's just a cheesy business move to me. 6 months down the road receiveing a letter stating that I hope you've enjoyed your free trial and we would like to offer you a discounted rate to keep it...THANKS for the biz!.... much better business move! Right?

I did get a response from Dodge after sending them an email about how I've been treated. I will keep you posted..... As they say on ESPN...

C'MON MAN! Let's get it right CHRYSLER!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:49 PM
ccthomp
Professional

Man, I see can see your side of things but in the long run it's about the dollar that big corporations are concerned with. Out of all the cars I have owned, I have had more issues with GM products, outside of my Riviera than I have had with Chrysler products. I have owned and old *** LeBaron, it had it's issues and got rid of it, I had a 95 Avenger tranny went out on it and it was going to cost more than the car was worth to repair it. I now have a 98 D and I am considering trading it in for a 11 Charger. All in all I have had few headaches with Chrysler products than I have had with any other company. Now I am in no way trying to play down or undermine your experience but seems like you just are not talking to the right people. I have heard few problems outside of here about the 11 D and even considered buying one. But the few problems here I have heard about seem to be related to just a few vehicles within a specific group. Have you attempted to speak with the heads of the respective departments? Gone through the Better Business Bureau to lodge a consumer complaint? I have addressed the stuff I see here with my GF who has a 2011 D to make sure she is aware of the issues so hopefully we can nip things in the rear before it gets serious. Seems like alot of your concerns are with the fobs that Chrysler has introduced as a security measure with vehicles, so I would expect there to be some bugs with it.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Queens R/T

Originally Posted by beburrows
Guys,

This has NOTHING to do with the $100. This has 100% to do with Chrysler stepping and doing the right thing! Didn't Chrysler just get a multi-billion dollar bailout from US? Yes, the taxpayers? That said, not only do they have a FISCAL responsibility to get things right, they have a MORAL responisibility to get things right!

I may not have mentioned earlier, I grew up in Detroit. I was BORN into the auto industry. Therefore, I've seen the "ups and downs" personally of what the personal greed has done to Detroit, as well as the whole auto industry in general. If you are not from Detroit you may not fully understand.

That said, Chrysler left me, along with 5 of my guests on a vacation STRANDED on vacation. Again, the dealer was GREAT!! Chrysler Corporation....after NUMEROUS CALLS AND OPPORTUNIIES....FAILED THE TEST!!

Again, the $100 was a test with regards to seeing if they would DO THE RIGHT THING! I'm not "whining", as you say, about the $100. I could care a less about the money. It's about them having the opportunity to "save face".

Buying a new vehicle, especially from a company that took a loan...from us!..... is more than just the $45k I spent. It's about building a relationship that should be about building trust so I will own the brand over my lifetime. RIGHT? That's how they should be operating...from the bottum up! That starts with service that goes above and beyond other auto companies. They should be striving TO BE THE BEST! Well, we definitely did NOT start on the right foot. I would hope you would agree?

With regards to selling the Durango, if they can't get it right, won't think twice about trading it in. Again, I look at vehicles as a relationship.....you spend a lot over years in service $$ etc..etc.. It's a depreciating asset that to me is about enjoying the brand, not about a $5k loss to trade. I want to be happy!

Lastly, with regards to Sirius satellite, to get a letter from them asking for $500 to extend the free one year subscription.....after owning a new vehicle for one week.....basically a bill in the mail.... looks like a desperate measure to get $$. It's just a cheesy business move to me. 6 months down the road receiveing a letter stating that I hope you've enjoyed your free trial and we would like to offer you a discounted rate to keep it...THANKS for the biz!.... much better business move! Right?

I did get a response from Dodge after sending them an email about how I've been treated. I will keep you posted..... As they say on ESPN...

I hear you reagrding Dodge/Chrysler's terrible customer service... I have been waiting on a call back from a case manager regarding my issue with the steering wheel shake for over 3 days now and still no call back. I've called every day for the past 3 days and they have said the case manager will be calling me by close of business every one of these days. I'm still waiting

Old 08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
JRRF
Captain

Guys,

Well beburrows, I have to agree with you on most of this. No doubt they didn't treat you right, but I still don't see selling the car outright. Things could get better, and frankly with any new car things could get worse again. Just this week JD Power dropped Ford initial quality from 2nd last year to 23rd this year. Sh-t happens, even with the best cars out there. You own a really good car, it had one problem, and now you're going to dump it because the manufacturer didn't treat you quite right? You are going to have good and bad experiences no matter where you go. That's the bottom line.

And as for price, this car is a deal even at 45K+. Put a MB badge on it and you can 30-40K. For that markup they buy a lot of customer reps to wipe your behind. Still no excuse, but it's reality.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

beburrows,

Thank you for a properly spaced and formatted response. It was much easier to read and follow.

As for quality customer service, in this America, I think that left a couple of decades ago.

IndyDurango

Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 AM
vkluu1286

beburrows

I'm actually encountering the same problem you did. I have a Citadel with Hemi AWD and the car will lock and unlock at the door handle but will not do anything when pressing buttons on the remote nor will the car start.

My question is how did you remove the push start button to try and start the car with the key? I'm having the car towed to the dealership anyways but this would be nice to know in case of the problem happening again. LUCKILY this happened at home!

And I know how you feel about the car not starting and this being your first American car. This is my first as well and I actually just got back from a trip from San Jose to Los Angeles. Didn't have problems with the car but just today I wanted to take the car out but didn't start. Not sure if it may be from taking the car on a long trip causing the problem but figure I'd throw that up if it may be the case.

Another note is that I just recently had the oil changed at 3300 miles. The car has 3600 now but the "Oil Change" indicator has been on for about 500 miles. Doubtful this is the cause of the car not starting but I'll be mentioning all this to the dealership.

Last edited by vkluu1286; 08-08-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 AM
fincher
Professional

You can reset the 'oil change due' message. It's in the manual.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:02 PM
beburrows

Hi vkluu1286,

Pretty ironic that I just got your email. I literally just got off the phone with someone at Chrysler and I am still SHOCKED at how they've handled the whole problem I was having with them. The customer service rep. I spoke with, Jay, said he was "appaled" that the dealer didn't pay for my expenses related to the breakdown and they weren't going to cover the expenses of the cab fare etc..etc.. Again, NOT about the money, but more about Chrysler having a better policy in place to handle situations like this. It is REALLY SAD!!

Anyways, about the key FOBS. You can actually pop off the push button by using a screwdriver....or something similar. The cover pops off pretty easily. However, per what the dealer told me, he said on the 2011's DO NOT POP IT OFF and use the manual key. Still not sure why??? Design flaw?? When I did try that, my key got stuck in the ignition. I did get it out, but I had to really yank on it.

That said, I'm about 99% sure that you will have the same issue that I had....not the key, but the ignition module I believe it's called?? New keys are one backorder...FYI. Obviously a HUGE problem they are having with these keystarts!

Changing the subject, I ended my conversation with the customer service guy, Jay, basically telling him that I will be in Detroit next month for a wedding (about 300 people) and I stated that he would think he would want to end my customer service complaint on a good note to, again, "SAFE FACE".....nope..... he didn't seem to care!

Sorry to hear about your Durango What dealer are you working with in LA? I'm Glenn E. Thomas. Keep me posted on the problem....

beburrows

Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
JRRF
Captain

Hi vkluu1286,

...The customer service rep. I spoke with, Jay, said he was "appaled" that the dealer didn't pay for my expenses related to the breakdown and they weren't going to cover the expenses of the cab fare etc..etc..

beburrows
This doesn't' make sense. How could he be appalled and offer no solution? He was appalled at the dealer and not Chrysler? Please clarify or tell us more.

Quick Reply: Car paralyzed - in operable key FOBS - Dodge Customer Service THE WORST!!