3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Car paralyzed - in operable key FOBS - Dodge Customer Service THE WORST!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM
beburrows
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car paralyzed - in operable key FOBS - Dodge Customer Service THE WORST!!

Hi,

I am posting this to let everyone know that I think I may have made the WORST purchase of my life!?? I just purchased a brand new CREWLUX Durango V8 loaded about a month ago. With only 1500 miles I drove this past Thursday from Los Angeles to Palm Springs for a golf weekend with my friends. Yes, my FIRST road trip with the new Durango and a full load of guys and golf gear. I was very excited! Unfortunately, when we arrived in downtown Palm Springs to meet some friends at a restaurant the nightmare began! To make a long story short, I had to move my vehicle due to a street fair taking place on the main street through town. It was 4:30pm and it became a tow away zone at 5:30pm. When I returned to the vehicle I was able to unlock the door with the key FOBS, however, I was not able to start the vehicle. I had absolutely NO communication between the key FOBS and the vehicle. I popped the push button start and tried to manually use the FOBS...NADA! The car was PARALYZED! I immediately called Dodge road side assistance. About an hour later a tow truck finally showed up and after trying the get the Durango started (the neutral release is located under the cup holder - FYI) it ended up having to be towed to the local dealer. This was Thursday night. NOT a great start to the long weekend! The dealer on Friday said they did not have a spare key in stock and they had to order one from Los Angeles and it would be there Saturday morning. Saturday morning I got a call from the dealer and there were no extra keys to be found. Yes, backordered!! Anyways, the dealer has been actually very cool throughout this whole nightmare. Thanks John at Crystal Dodge! However, Dodge corporate customer service.....AWFUL!!!! They were suppose to call me on Saturday to help with a rental car. They DIDN'T CALL ME!! Yep, left me "high and dry"! The dealer in Palm Springs was shocked!! Numerous attempts between myself and the dealer were made that day and I was "guaranteed" from Dodge corporate that someone would call me before days end. They were now closed until Monday morning. ARGHH!!! Now comes Sunday and we were luckily able to jam the 5 people I drove in the other 2 vehicles that came out from Los Angeles with us. I mean we SQUEEZED it! We BARELY fit!! Golf clubs, luggage etc..etc.. Reallly Dodge corporate....NO RENTAL?? So, now comes Monday..... I called Dodge customer service and guess what..... after the dealer called them in the morning, along with me calling them.... STILL NO RESOLUTION!! Not even no resolution, NO COURTESY CALL... NOTHING! Finally at 5pm on Monday night the Palm Springs dealer called me and set up a purchase order for a car rental with Enterprise car rental in Los Angeles. Basically, he helped and Dodge corporate has still done NOTHING!! Today I also Fed Ex'd the dealer my spare key to see if it was the key FOBS. We will know in the morning whether it was only the key. I am not feeling too optimistic since I read on some forums that it sounds like a software glitch with the FOBS and not the keys. Lastly, the dealer in Palm Springs still says that I may have to be responsible to get my car back from Palm Springs to L.A. ARE U KIDDING ME!!! Dodge Corporate WILL PAY FOR THIS!! Again, the car has 1500 miles on it! Over my dead body!! After I find out the true problem I will post the result. In closing, I grew up in Detroit, along with all of the guys that were in Palm Springs with me this weekend. Guess what Dodge....... you sure is hell won't sell another Durango to any of those guys after they saw how you treated me! Your service STINKS!!! Thank you, ONE SAD 2011 DURANGO OWNER fro

Old 07-19-2011, 04:06 PM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

Well part of the problem and their spotty quality control issues may lie on this

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ing----again/1

Dodge/Chrysler quality control is stilll spotty imho...now with all the horror stories I've come accross this forum it put a doubt whether I made the right call purchasing the Citadel. This is my first Dodge product that I purchased although I've driven their trucks when I was in the military. I was originally going to buy a 2011 Acura MDX advanced package, hope that I don't regret it later on.

Hope you get your Durango's issues fix.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 PM
beburrows

Thanks Sidewinder9m for the link! Heard back from the dealer and the issue was more extensive than sourcing a new key. They received my 2nd key today and it didn't work. So, it looks like the Durango will need a new push button ignition system installed. Hmmm....GREAT! I did FINALLY get a rental car.... a Camry from Enterprise. Not really "Apples to Apples" for a replacement vehicle! However, at this point, just nice to have a car to drive!
Regarding your article, funny thing is that my dad use to manage a Chrysler plant in Detroit back in the early 70's and use to tell me stories about crappy quality and people drinking on the job. Well, looks like some things never change!! This is my first American car as well. Hopefully this isn't a precursor to what my future holds??? I sold my 4runner and replaced it with the Durango.....my wife drives an Audi. Again, could've been a bad move!! I don't think Toyota employees are getting high on the job!!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:16 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

beburrows, first... learn to use SPACES in your posts/writings. That text block is nearly unreadable. Just because this is online doesn't mean we can write like first graders.

I understand that problems stink. Especially with new cars! However... override the push button, use the damn key like 99.999% of every other car out there, start the vehicle and drive away. You are not entitled to a free rental car BTW. Shoulda bought the Citadel. Spend part of the $20,000+ you saved over the country-club Audi and BMW crowd and rent one already. Remember, you were the smart/frugal one out of all the golf buddies right? Spend a few bucks already.

And... The customer service directly at the dealer on my Wifey's Toyota super-sucks compared to my Dodge dealer. And I don't even like my Dodge dealer! In my time of need/near breakdown on a brand new FJ Cruiser, the Toyota dealer actually laughed at our request simply because we came in at closing time and they couldn't be bothered to help a new client on a Saturday right before they were going home (long story.) Our experience with "the Toyota way" isn't any different than "Reggie the used car salesman's way at the local Buy here/Pay here lot in da' hood." Tells you a little about the clown that owns/operates Andy Mohr Toyota eh?

sidewinder9m, that wasn't the Durango assembly plant this time. That was the V6 Pentastar plant. Still no excuse for the asshats doing that stuff. Kudos to the whistle blowers who were actually concerned for their safety, their products, their rep and their long term jobs.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 07-20-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:48 PM
beburrows

Indydurango, in response to your suggestions, I DID use my key manually....
"like the 99.999%" as you stated. I popped the button off, inserted the key.... still NOTHING! As for an update for the dealer, the ignition system is DEAD! NOT a key issue. They are basically telling me that they are going to have to replace the entire module. I found other posts online with people who have had this same issue. NOT GOOD DODGE!!

With regards to the Crewlux Durango I bought, it had a sticker of $46,000+ So, NOT a cheap Durango! The only difference between my Durango and the Citadel... no vented seats and NO PLASTIC FAKE CHROME HUBCAPS!! I bought the top of the line Crewlux because it had the 20" aluminum rims. Fake chrome rim covers?? HUGE downer!! Plastic rims on a $45k vehicle? Really? if it didn't have all of the fake plastic chrome I would've had no issue on buying the Citadel.... didn't like it!

Lastly, regarding customer service, I agree that most dealers suck!! Corporate should not as well though! As for an update on my case, I FINALLY got a call from Dodge corporate at 5pm pacific time yesterday. The customer rep was calling me to inform me that I had a rental car for 10 days (like they were doing me a favor per the way he said it) and that someone named Stephanie was handling my case and that she would be calling me. Guess what, Stephanie was the same girl I left a voicemail with on Monday morning and this was now Wednesday morning and she still hasn't called me!!!

Lastly, I was fully planning on picking up my own rental car on Monday whether the Dodge was going to step up and help, or not. The Palm Springs dealer was literally embarrassed that Dodge corp didn't handle and they personally cut a P.O. and handled it since corporate dropped the ball. Again, the dealer has been pretty cool! Corporate, not so much!

beburrows

Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

Vehicles I've previously owned like Nissan, Honda & Acura if there was a problem and under warranty in my experience it was the dealership who facilitates and makes the arrangement for car rental or providing one of their cars while the vehicle is in the shop. I didn't go through the manufacturer customer service to provide me a rental...shouldn't your dealership be assisting you on the rental issue?

On a side note, I chose the Citadel with all the bells and whistle but after taking delivery and drove it home that's when I realized I got duped on those fake chrome (plastic) covered wheels. Oh well I plan on replacing it with some nice rims just hope my Durango stays healthy!

Yesterday first time dealing with Dodge Customer service it was a guy on the other line, was very helpful and courteous.....had an issue with my Sirius sat radio, I received a mail notification my free subscription service was about to end this month. Their records show only 3 months of free service. I said no way part of the deal as stated in the Durango brochure & specs was a 1 year free Sirius Sat radio service, somehow my dealership screwed this up and Dodge customer service gave me the promo code then transferred me to the Sirius customer service.

An investigation case was opened by Sirius as to why the glitch but for now extended my service until October. Once Sirius gets this resolve my in service date will start on the day the case is close and it will be a year of free service.

Last edited by sidewinder9m; 07-20-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 07-21-2011, 02:06 PM
beburrows

Hi sidewinder9m,

With regards to the fake chrome rims, I was shocked they were plastic myself! I actually didn't notice until I randomly touched them while looking at the Citadel model I was originally interested in. Hmmm? Poor choice on Dodges part! However, my neighbor has a new Ford Edge and they also have the imitation chrome covers. So, not just Chryslers bad move!

Regarding the dealer and getting a rental car, my situation was a bit unique since I was 200 miles from home when my car died. The Palm Springs dealer couldn't give me one of their vehicles since I was going to need to take the rental one-way back to Los Angeles. That said, they called Dodge corporate immediately and they were waiting on a rental purchase order from them that Saturday. That is when Dodge never called me back (or dealer) and basically blew me off. Again, the dealer was floored that this happened! On Monday the dealer jumped in and did end up handling themselves. They probably could have done that initially, however, it sounds like Dodge corporate is usually good about handling rentals. This time....not so much! If my car broke down in Los Angeles, I guarantee my local dealer would've handled immediately. They are the biggest dealer in So Cal and wouldn't want the bad press for sure!

Anyways, I am still waiting today to hear about the status on getting my Durango back. The dealer got the ignition working. They are dealing with Dodge corporate to arrange the vehicle to be shipped back to me. I'll keep you posted on the results..... If there is as much as a scratch on the Durango from shipping they will get the full wrath from me!!!

Lastly, regarding the Sirius subscription, I have to laugh because I just got a renewal in the mail for it last week. I paperwork from Sirius stated the one year free subscription. I definitely found it a bit proactive that they were already asking for the renewal. Thanks Sirius.... I'll hold onto my $$ for the next year and put it into MY interest bearing investment instead of yours! Although, I hope the subscription doesn't double before then!? Otherwise, I made a bad investment!! lol

Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
beburrows
Default Dodge corporate -- you guys suck!!!!

As for an update.....FINALLY got my 2011 Durango fixed and shipped back to me from Palm Springs to L.A. That said.....

I had $100 worth of expenses related to my BRAND NEW DURANGO breaking down....

$80 cab to get us to our resort....AND...$20 to Fedex my spare keys from L.A. to Palm Springs.

GUESS WHAT?? After a week of trying to contact someone DODGE CORPORATE CUSTOMER SERVICE says they WILL NOT reimburse me the $100.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!! $45k for a new Durango that breaks down with 1500 Miles and NOT REIMBURSE ME???

GUESS WHAT DODGE....STEP UP!!!!!!!! We wonder why DETROIT is BANKRUPT!!??
I will be putting my new DURANGO with only 1500 miles up for sale!!!!!! YEP!! GOOD BY DODGE/CHRYSLER!!!!!!

Last edited by beburrows; 08-03-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  drama_llama.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  wah.gif
Views: 67
Size:  1.3 KB Name:  wah.gif
Size:  1.3 KB Name:  wah.gif
Size:  1.3 KB

So you are willingly going to take a loss trying to sell a used vehicle, with a break down history clearly posted on the world wide internet for everyone to see, at a likely loss of thousands of dollars, and you are still biatching about $100. Really?

Attached Images
File Type: gif
wah.gif (1.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: gif
wah.gif (1.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by IndyDurango; 08-02-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Send this member a pm, dodgecares. He may listen to your problem. I don't if he can give any refunds but he may give you some answers.

Quick Reply: Car paralyzed - in operable key FOBS - Dodge Customer Service THE WORST!!