3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Poor Sound from Alpine Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Bumpervetteman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Sound from Alpine Stereo

Has anybody questioned the quality of the stereo's that are installed in the 3G Durango's. I have a 2011 Citadel fully loaded with 9 Speaker Alpine AMP/ SUBWOOFER 509 watt system. What I have found ODD is the SUB WOOFER is mounted horizontally instead of vertical as in my two past 2G Limited's. Both these had INFINITY systems which seems to sound 100% better than the Alpine that is in my 2011. I have tried to adjust but no matter what it still seems flat. Why did they mount the SUB Horizontally and then encapsulate it without grill?

Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 PM
fincher
Professional

I agree that the sound is sub-par. We've gotten used it but it's noticeable. I have no idea if it's the sub woofer.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 AM
TonyCrew
Professional

i think it's as good as my Yukon Denali's Bose system (2010) but in no way is it a "premier system". i recently traded in a 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 sedan with a Lexicon 17 speaker, 7.1 surround, 528 watt system.. but then again, that system amounts to about a $4,000 option.. you get what you pay for.
http://www.hemagazine.com/Lexicon_Hy...s_Audio_System
versus
http://www.alpine-usa.com/company/pr...odge-vehicles/

Last edited by TonyCrew; 10-16-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Bumpervetteman
Amateur
Default Poor ALPINE Sound

I also had a Hyundai Genesis Sedan with the LEXICON sound system and nothing to this day compares, I currently have a LEXUS IS 350 with a Mark Levinson system in it and it close to the Genesis. My Corvettte with BOSE system was good in the day but we are far more adavanced than that now. You would think that a 46k vehicle would have not have a SUB PAR sosund system. I guess I should have paid more attention to the Stereo and less to the other noises. I have to live with the stereo now, and warrantly has fixed the other noises.

The looks and performance of my Durango are awsome, there other definetly other areas that they could have improved on. Who ever heard of mounting a SUB WOOFER Horizontally and then completely covering it up?

I have been over diffenret stereo shops andone guy wanted to sell me new speakers along with a AMP and the other guy looked the truck over and say what and how the Sub was installed and he only had 1 recommnedation. Live with it or buy a whole new system.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:10 PM
jrockwell
Rookie

Yepp, my only complaint about the Durango is the audio quality.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 PM
TonyCrew
Professional

yeah, it's strange but they wanted to minimize the subwoofer's impact on usable interior space.. it's the quality of the other speakers that troubles me. mids/highs are horrendous, bass is fine for me.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 PM
KGOFQNS
Default 04 limited was better

I don't understand how sound quality gets worse after 7 years?

My 04 with the Infinity system was better, especially the subwoofer. It was the only factory stereo that I would consistently lower the bass.

I appreciate the extra speakers in the third row and the functionality of the head unit but the low end is very weak.

Chris in NJ

Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 AM
baum
Professional

Try it with the cover off. it makes a difference between day and night. When i installed my amp and sub i had to make a run before i had my sub in and the cover was off and i couldnt believe the difference. i almost pondered just to use that and make a new cover that let the sound pass through. they ruined the sound by covering it up with that thick heavy plastic cover.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 AM
kingofwylietx
Professional

If the problem is the cover, then someone sufficiently bugged by it should try a work-around. If not make a new cover, then what about drilling some holes? Just do it in an aesthetically pleasing way?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 PM
stubborn1

I'll give one more vote that the "premium" sound system is anything but. Like one other poster mentioned, the bass is okay but mid range is totally lacking. It's better than a standard factory system, but not by much. If I had to order my Durango again, I would have saved the money and stuck with stock.

Quick Reply: Poor Sound from Alpine Stereo