3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Rattle at 50-60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Smartasss64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Problem Solved (I Hope)

So, after my third trip to a dealership, it would appear that the problem has been solved. I took the Citadel into Avondale Dodge and went on a test drive with a tech. Right on cue, the rattle kicked in at 60-70 mph along with an annoying squeak. Upon returning to the shop the tech popped the hood and looked for the issue. I explained that another dealership had performed a TSB regarding a hood hinge bolt. Surprisingly, when he moved the open hood side to side there was play and a clicking noise coming from the drivers side hinge. Bingo. Apparently the previous dealership had not performed the maintenance on the "correct" bolt. Here is the description of the service performed
"Found driver side hood hinge bolt was causing noise. Found one threaded shoulder was too large on bolt. Unrealized 6510735AA Screw Hex Head-part#. Removed bolt , added washer, reinstalled bolt. No noise heard."
I drove it for 30-35 miles afterward with no rattle. Fingers crossed..the rattle is gone!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Trace3rd
Professional

While at the shop today getting a new radio I mentioned the rattle and the TSB about the bolt, when I picked it up the rattle was still there. I took it back and asked them to check the mirror studs, washer hose, and hood release lines because I had read about these items causing the same kind of rattle, no luck, all checked good. Dealer said I could bring it back Monday if I wanted and they would look again. when I got home tonight I couldnt stand it, so I went snooping around. I found that if I open the driver door, and shake it back and forth by holding the edge of the door, I can duplicate the noise and it seems to be coming from around the latch that holds the door shut. I tried all 3 other doors, no noises. I brought my wife out and she confirmed that it is definitly the rattle we hear around 60mph. I will have them pull the door panel off and see what it is Monday, fingers crossed.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 PM
MG2012CREW
Professional
Smile

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
Smartasss,

What did the dealer tell you after they gave you the vehicle back. If you'd like to PM me you VIN# and the name of your servicing dealer, I'd be able to look into this further for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Could you pm a build sheet for my durango with TSB info and such.

Quick Reply: Rattle at 50-60 mph