3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Rattle at 50-60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 PM
12hemiawdcitidale
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, well I think I found it, in my engine bay next to the driver side, the window washer fluid line is made of hard plastic, there was a plastic retainer that holds it to one of the holes on the metal part of the fender, this was off, so I pushed it back and I'll see if this noise that I was hearing is still happening. I won't be able to do this until the weekend but that's cool, at least I found that!

Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM
beej612

I have been dealing with this same issue of noise from the A Pillar. I think I finally found it.

It's my drivers side mirror. On the highway I pulled my mirror in and the noise stopped. Back out, it's back. I also noticed much more vibration distortion from the drivers side mirror than the passangers.

My dealer has been very patient with me in trying to find the root. They ordered a new mirror from the factory and it gets installed tomorrow. Hope this fixes it!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
salrt
Professional

Man, the early posts in here are not positive for the D at all. I guess I'm really fortunate, or they got some stuff figured out for the 2012's. I haven't had one issue and the gaps around the entire vehicle (doors, hood, fenders, etc.) are perfect. No rattles or squeaks at all and I almost have 10K miles on it. The only rattle I had (was driving my nuts) was intermittant and coming from the back of the truck. Ended up being something really stupid. It was the metal part of the seatbelt hitting the door. When I hear it now, I know what it is so I put it behind the piece of seatbelt (doubled over) that is apparently designed to hold it so it doesn't hit the door. Sure am sorry to hear others had such a bad time...

Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1st year model gremlins are common on any vehicle. Always best to wait if you can and let the pioneers take the arrows.

Usually the 3rd year releases have the initial design elements all worked out... just prior to the factory refresh which inserts all new variables and we start over again.

IndyD

Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM
12hemiawdcitidale
Professional

beej612, let us know if that fixed your problem. I only have 900 miles on my truck but the rattle is still with my truck. There is less of it but its still there from time to time. I bought plumber's wrap that supposed to go around pipes that sticks on one side, to put around my washer fluid pipes, its stopped some but not all so I'm thinking it may be a wire inside the mirror or somewhere else too.

I honestly do not drive the truck long enough to be able to see where its coming from but its just annoying...still love the truck though! I'll take these smaller issues than be driving something else!

I just don't want the dealer to tear up the interior.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM
beej612

Deal missed the mark today, they ordered the mirror from the factory, came labeled right, but it had the wrong mirror in it. When they went back to parts to order the drivers side again the system is saying it's backordered.

The service rep. took that as a sign that Dodge may know something, but not be saying. If they are out of stock then they are being ordered at an alarming rate.

I will have to wait until it comes in now. He was thinking about taking one off another Durango in their stock, but fears it may have the same issues. Better to wait for the new one from the factory. Be interesting to see if Dodge ever admits there could be an issue here.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 AM
nattyTread

Originally Posted by 12hemiawdcitidale
OK, well I think I found it, in my engine bay next to the driver side, the window washer fluid line is made of hard plastic, there was a plastic retainer that holds it to one of the holes on the metal part of the fender, this was off, so I pushed it back and I'll see if this noise that I was hearing is still happening. I won't be able to do this until the weekend but that's cool, at least I found that!
You were spot on here my friend.

Have been waiting to take delivery of a 2012 Durango while the dealer sorts out the source of a rattle we heard while test driving it on the freeway. I've now gone in twice, each time being told that they fixed it but after a test drive the rattle was still there.

This last time though I was armed with info (thanks to your post) and after hearing it again I pulled over and checked the washer hose. The look on the sales manager's face was priceless when I pointed this out to be the cause of the noise. We secured the line and problem solved.

Now we're waiting for them to replace the headliner, which was damaged while they were looking for the cause of the rattle...

Old 07-15-2012, 11:25 AM
12HemiR/T
Professional

Originally Posted by salrt
Man, the early posts in here are not positive for the D at all. I guess I'm really fortunate, or they got some stuff figured out for the 2012's. I haven't had one issue and the gaps around the entire vehicle (doors, hood, fenders, etc.) are perfect. No rattles or squeaks at all and I almost have 10K miles on it. The only rattle I had (was driving my nuts) was intermittant and coming from the back of the truck. Ended up being something really stupid. It was the metal part of the seatbelt hitting the door. When I hear it now, I know what it is so I put it behind the piece of seatbelt (doubled over) that is apparently designed to hold it so it doesn't hit the door. Sure am sorry to hear others had such a bad time...
I drive a '12 R/T with a build date in April 2012 and now with 3,400 plus miles the only issue I have with rattles is coming from left rear of truck (I describe in my earlier post). Maybe with the later build date, Chrysler fixed some of the issues described here. My truck is VERY quiet and solid except for the occasional rattle from the rear. I am going to try salrt's suggestion for the seatbelt fix. As far as quality from Chysler (so far), I owned GM and Ford products as well and had issues, so to me it is normal to have some issues. I replaced a '06 Trailblazer with a 5.3L with close to 100k and my Durango is my favorite by a large margin.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM
beej612

They replaced my mirror, found one of the posts was busted, fixed my problem completely.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 PM
12HemiR/T
Professional

Originally Posted by beej612
They replaced my mirror, found one of the posts was busted, fixed my problem completely.
Did it really take 3.5 months to get the new mirror? I am assuming from your last post?

Quick Reply: Rattle at 50-60 mph