172 milles on vehicle and Drive train PCM failure 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:32 PM
JRRF
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by happyfirst
Exactly!!!

Although, I really hope in my case if I had such good fortune, that I would avoid all temptation to go buy a ferrari
It depends on how big the pot was ;-)

Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM
draph94

Glad to see Dodge came around and did the right thing on repairing the OP's D within 3 days. Via another thread, it appears the production line is at full capacity. No doubt, "just in time" production practices and supplier pressures for lowest price has them running JIT as well, which probably leaves little line capacity left for spare parts inventory. They may have had to divert the part from going to the production line in order to replace the OP's PCM. That means someone's order got delayed - Dodge had to make a priority decision - a future customer's order, or a current customer's satisfaction. IMHO, they made the right choice - shows some vision about long term customer satisfaction and loyalty vs. this quarter's sales volume numbers for the "shareholders".

Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 PM
PokerMunkee
Professional

Glad the OP's Duango is fixed and he can go on enjoying his sweet ride.

Dodge is stepping up its customer service. They just sent letters to 2G Durango owners saying they will repair for free a well known gas tank issue (spews gas out when the gas pump shuts off). Because of this I am now back to wanting the 3G Durango when I'm ready for a new SUV.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Lisa1016

Hi Pharman. I have a story for you. We just purchased a 2011 Citadel last night. Had 31 miles on it. It was just a leftover I've been told. They dropped the price by $9,000, but we still paid a LOT for it. So I went to pick up a user's manual from the dealership around 11 am today, and when I attempted to leave the parking lot, the same lights came on as what happened with yours, and it sputtered a bit like it was going to shut down. I put it in park, shut it off, and tried again. Same thing. So I got our salesman, and of course he had the same experience and just pulled it out of the parking spot, and on into the service department. After waiting for almost 2 hours, they told me it is a computer for the drive-train (or something like that - sorry I'm not so car-literate). They gave me a loaner (another Citadel), and are ordering the part. I am pretty nervous about this issue, but we will go with it and see what happens I guess. Good thing it happened there, but I'm pretty upset about it. Haven't even had the car 24 hours. I think they have a pretty good service dept, but I was getting some negative feedback on Chrysler/Dodge in general from other waiting room guests. I will let you know the response on the part...

Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understanding that you're upset, but you need to remember these things are mass produced so there will be problems. That's why you should wait a year or so before you buy a new style to get the little problems worked out.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 AM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by Lisa1016
Hi Pharman. I have a story for you. We just purchased a 2011 Citadel last night. Had 31 miles on it. It was just a leftover I've been told. They dropped the price by $9,000, but we still paid a LOT for it. So I went to pick up a user's manual from the dealership around 11 am today, and when I attempted to leave the parking lot, the same lights came on as what happened with yours, and it sputtered a bit like it was going to shut down. I put it in park, shut it off, and tried again. Same thing. So I got our salesman, and of course he had the same experience and just pulled it out of the parking spot, and on into the service department. After waiting for almost 2 hours, they told me it is a computer for the drive-train (or something like that - sorry I'm not so car-literate). They gave me a loaner (another Citadel), and are ordering the part. I am pretty nervous about this issue, but we will go with it and see what happens I guess. Good thing it happened there, but I'm pretty upset about it. Haven't even had the car 24 hours. I think they have a pretty good service dept, but I was getting some negative feedback on Chrysler/Dodge in general from other waiting room guests. I will let you know the response on the part...
Lisa,
Don't fret (yet). Computers can fail in cars just like your laptop can. Replacing an ECM (engine control module) is one of the simplest things they can do. Now if they had to teardown your engine to figure out the problem, like 30 years ago, you'd have something to worry about. Even as far back as 1985 I had a car that needed a new ECM. Back then they had a harder time diagnosing the issue, but once they knew what it was, it was a simple fix.

As for not buying a new model, that's also 30 year old thinking. Look at the JD Power ratings for new cars and you'll understand that buying a new model has never been a better proposition. And considering they tweek models every year or two, any later versions can also have problems. But in general, very few of any of them do.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa1016

Lisa,

Sorry to hear of your trouble with your D. If the dealer does not solve your issue quickly or if it happens again, you need to give Chrysler Customer Service a call so we can get involved with solving your problem. Numbers below.

800-992-1997 United States
800-465-2001 Canada

Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
pharman

Hey Lisa, sorry to hear about this. Our vehicle was at the dealership for 11 days. I understand where you are coming from; it's not a very good feeling when you spend that kind of money on a vehicle only to have it in the shop right after you purchase it. I would definitely recommend contacting Chrysler if you have a backorder issue like ours.
We have yet to have another issue with our vehicle and we are pretty happy with our purchase, especially my wife who has pretty much taken the vehicle over. Let us know how things turn out.

And btw, don't pay too much attention to posters who think it's your fault for purchasing a vehicle in its first model year or in this case, a revamped model year.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha.

It's common sense really. New models of anything have problems. But unfortunately you got one of them. They will get you taken care of.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Metro12

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
I agree with that, but the cost of parts on new cars is stupid high, where as older cars are not. New cars also lose like 20% of their value as soon as they leave the lot also.
With a new car, I don't have to worry about parts cost, since its under warranty. I usually don't keep vehicles much past their warranty. I traded my 07 Silverado in back in jan 2011, with 26k on it, and my 07 Charger R/T for my 3G Durango in jan 2012 with 5,300 miles on it. My low miles on my "toys", results in a higher value at trade in. I never trade in with a loss, I've always had equity in my trades.

And as mentioned, a car with 6 miles on the odometer hasn't been beat on by some teenager for 2 years and 20k miles like a used car could have.

Quick Reply: 172 milles on vehicle and Drive train PCM failure 2011