3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Has anyone installed a catch can on the Durango 5.7L hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:57 PM
jwr9152
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on a Moroso catch can. I like it because it has a drain line. It is very easy to install, but it won't fit to the mounting bolt the Charger uses. I mounted mine to the bracket that holds the fuse box. Fits there just fine. Make sure you run the hoses long enough to go under the engine cover. I cut mine border line too short, but I can still put the engine cover on. It is about a 10 minute install.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Photos guys?

TIA.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 PM
jwr9152
Professional

Tried to post pictures, but I had to make them so small to attach, that you couldn't even see anything. Not sure how to fix that.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try just using Photobucket.com and then adding the links here. That usually works and solves the problem here with photo posting limitations.

HTH,

IndyD

Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 AM
jwr9152
Professional

Thanks IndyD. Here is how I set mine up.

.Name:  morosocan.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  15.0 KB

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone installed a catch can on the Durango 5.7L hemi?-morosocan.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Phoenix RT
Rookie

I have not had any smoking on mine yet but its crazy that Chrysler designed a vehicle to operate like that. Not good.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM
demarco

Originally Posted by Phoenix RT
I have not had any smoking on mine yet but its crazy that Chrysler designed a vehicle to operate like that. Not good.
Its funny mine has done it say 3 times in the almost 6,000 miles i have owned it.

I can't really tell what causes it, my wife drives it mostly and almost always does exactly the same trips, and parks it on an incline in the driveway.

I could go to the dealer to complain, but it wouldn't do it when its there.

If we could figure out when this happens, and reproduce it, then we could get a fix.

Maybe Chrysler already knows about this.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Guys there is nothing to fix...the design of the HEMI from day 1 (now 7-8 years ago) was to vent the crankcase back into the intake. The oil vapor goes back into the manifold and when you shut down, the vapors combine and form liquid oil sitting in the intake. If you park on an incline, the liquid oil drips down and collects. When you fire up the engine, it gets sucked in and burned off which can lead to light smoke being seen when first restarted. It is not known or ever been proven to be detrimental, but some of the more OCD folks would rather capture it.

BT is the way to go, since as of this moment BT is manufacturing a Mopar Accessory approved catch can, Part #: P5156020 Which will be available direct from your dealers.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 AM
demarco

Originally Posted by coldsteel
Guys there is nothing to fix...the design of the HEMI from day 1 (now 7-8 years ago) was to vent the crankcase back into the intake. The oil vapor goes back into the manifold and when you shut down, the vapors combine and form liquid oil sitting in the intake. If you park on an incline, the liquid oil drips down and collects. When you fire up the engine, it gets sucked in and burned off which can lead to light smoke being seen when first restarted. It is not known or ever been proven to be detrimental, but some of the more OCD folks would rather capture it.

BT is the way to go, since as of this moment BT is manufacturing a Mopar Accessory approved catch can, Part #: P5156020 Which will be available direct from your dealers.
I believe that you are correct. I really don't think it will do much harm to the engine. its just that the brand new vehicle looks like an old clunker sometimes when it smokes a bunch.

Call me part of the OCD crowd. Maybe i'll end up getting the catch can if its not too expensive (the problem doesn't seem that bad as it has only smoked 3 times in 5,000 miles)

Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 PM
jvs0302
Amateur

Originally Posted by coldsteel

More great info, thanks for contributing! The one time I saw smoke, my R/T was parked on an incline as well. I've only seen it once in the first 1500 miles, and honestly it was not bad at all. A little smoke for less than a minute and that was it.

But I will for sure be getting the BT catch can when it becomes available for helping keep some of that extra oil vapor out of the manifold.....plus it will look damn cool under the hood.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a catch can on the Durango 5.7L hemi?