3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Has anyone installed a catch can on the Durango 5.7L hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 PM
jvs0302
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed a catch can on the Durango 5.7L hemi?

I come from the Jeep world and alot of guys would install a catch can on their hemi engines. Has anyone done this on the Durango yet and if so what mounting location did you use?

http://www.custombilletstore.com/Hem...an_p/20010.htm

Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 PM
demarco

Originally Posted by jvs0302
I come from the Jeep world and alot of guys would install a catch can on their hemi engines. Has anyone done this on the Durango yet and if so what mounting location did you use?

http://www.custombilletstore.com/Hem...an_p/20010.htm
Wonder if this would fix the problem with the car smoking sometimes on startup.

Its happened 4 times now, and the truck has 4,000 miles on it.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 PM
jvs0302
Amateur

Originally Posted by demarco
Wonder if this would fix the problem with the car smoking sometimes on startup.

Its happened 4 times now, and the truck has 4,000 miles on it.
Funny you mention that. My R/T has 1100 miles on it and was smoking noticeably today. I took it for a good drive earlier in the day. And when I started it up again later on to go back out, it was smoking for a couple minutes in the driveway.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Phoenix RT
Rookie

That is horrible man, a new truck should not do that. Good luck getting that fixed.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 PM
46fever
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to Durango world but wondering if a catch can would really benefit a new engine? . . they might look nice, but is there any payback in cost?

Hopefully these engines do not have a lot of "blowby" into crankcase, resulting in some oil being blown into intake.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM
coldsteel
Captain

If you're unfamiliar with the HEMI, let me tell you about blowby. By design, a an amount of oil goes through the PCV line and back into the intake manifold; enough so that the intake runner becomes saturated in oil. On some HEMI's this leads to surging when coming to a stop as the oil dumps into the engine and gets used up in combustion. I have had a catch can on my Charger for 30k miles and have emptied approximately 16 oz. of oil and other nasty particulates in that time. It's not a big deal, but not crap I want going through my engine.

I have not gotten one on my Durango yet, but I do have plans to.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 PM
46fever
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I never would have guessing that much oil and other crap was going into intake.

Do these catch cans vent to atmosphere, or continue to route into intake? (but filtered)

Trending Topics

Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
coldsteel
Captain

They are in-line with the PCV; they filter the crap and the line continues to the intake manifold, just minus all the junk. I only empty the can about once every 3 months.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 AM
jvs0302
Amateur

Originally Posted by coldsteel
If you're unfamiliar with the HEMI, let me tell you about blowby. By design, a an amount of oil goes through the PCV line and back into the intake manifold; enough so that the intake runner becomes saturated in oil. On some HEMI's this leads to surging when coming to a stop as the oil dumps into the engine and gets used up in combustion. I have had a catch can on my Charger for 30k miles and have emptied approximately 16 oz. of oil and other nasty particulates in that time. It's not a big deal, but not crap I want going through my engine.

I have not gotten one on my Durango yet, but I do have plans to.
Great info right here, thanks for the input. I knew that alot of Charger guys and also Jeeps with HEMIs use the catch can and have had the same experience. And Im with you, if I can keep all that crap from going back into the engine, then I am all for it.

I contacted Billet Technology regarding a Durango setup and they pretty much blew me off. As far as I know, the fittings on the catch can itself are all the same, correct? Meaning there is no real difference between a catch can for your Charger versus one for the Durango........its just the mounting bracket and location that would be different, right?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 AM
ZCR1
Professional

Here’s another can; it looks like this one is easier to drain than the BT one. http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/85479/10002/-1

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a catch can on the Durango 5.7L hemi?